About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Tuesday, June 25, 2019

Words For The Ages: Line Eleven

"It ain't no sin to be glad you're alive."

Despite the "ain't", I trust even English teachers out there - especially those who are fans of the Boss - will agree this phrase from Badlands belongs with the others I've previously selected as words for the ages. For me, this lyric concisely captures the affirming message that everyman Bruce Springsteen has continually conveyed for a half century.

Which Springsteen lyric do you think will resound many years from now? Since doing a presentation on Bruce's songwriting craft a few months back, that phrase above hasn't left me alone. Would you be surprised if someone quoted these words in a eulogy? How many tattoos or gravestones would you guess feature this aphoristic lyric?

No comments:

Post a Comment