About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Tuesday, February 11, 2020

Words That Can Haunt Me, Part 16: Attention

Is it possible to separate the need for attention from the need for approval? How many people have you known who crave one but not the other?

Although I never had any illusions about my need for attention, I was probably fifty years old before anyone challenged my elaborately constructed "I could care less what other people think" persona. Though it initially enraged me, that individual who first pointed out my need for approval did me a big favor. Once my ego healed, I found it easier to identify triggers that led me to seek attention. And the less attention I sought, the less approval I needed.

I've made progress and I've got a long way to go. Sound familiar?

2 comments:

  1. Never thought of this before. An interesting distinction!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alison; Thanks for reading and your comment; glad I was able to bring something new to you.

      Delete