About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Monday, February 8, 2021

Marking The Decades

Ever since the interface on my blog changed a short time ago - prominently featuring the number of posts I've published - it's been hard to avoid noticing a magical convergence approaching. Although I'm not  superstitious, I hope you'll indulge today's solipsism. This post - #1949 - matches the year of my birth. 

Many years ago, the liner notes of Joni Mitchell's album Mingus reminded me of the need to pay attention to these "...coincidences that thrill the imagination..." With Joni's words ringing in my ear, I decided recently to initiate a limited run series marking my decades, beginning with post #1949 today, continuing with post #1959, 1969 etc. through to #2019. And I'd like you to join me, although you'll be using the markers from the start of each of my eight decades instead of your own.

So, what significant event of your life, or in the life of someone you know - especially since it seems no one is as old as me these days - occurred in 1949? If you get stuck, consult Google, Wikipedia, or an encyclopedia (GASP!) and pick an event, song, movie, etc. from 1949 that has some significance to you and share it here with me and others. 

Ready? In 1949 - November 23 to be precise - your favorite solipsist was born, the first of Edward and Marie Barton's (nee Trautvetter) four children; the blogging world is still recovering. Also, Volkswagen introduced its panel van that year, a vehicle that later played a big part in my life in the late 60s, into the 70s during my rock n' roll road years. Your turn: What is conjured up for you recalling the year 1949?  

9 comments:

  1. Meryl Streep and Sigorney Weaver were both born in 1949!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alison; Thanks for the comment. I feel obliged to match your choice of two actresses (i.e. your chosen field) who were both born in 1949 and that are among the best of MY generation with two musicians (my chosen field) both also born in 1949 and also among the best of my generation - Bruce Springsteen and Billy Joel.

      Delete
  2. Hello Pat .. And Alison. I was going to mention Ms. Streep. One of my favorite actors. Is there anything she can't do? But since that was already taken, I'll add some that I think are pretty interesting. And yes, I used Google. But not an encyclopedia. NATO was established, Carousel, South Pacific and The Pirates of Penzance all opened on Broadway and Silly Putty was introduced.
    I selected NATO because the previous administration (sounds so good to say 'previous') attempted to pull the USA out, Broadway shows because I love the theater and each of these shows are among my favorites, and Silly Putty because .. well, come on .. it's fun.
    Looking forward to 1959. I was around by then although still too young to remember. So another use of Google may be in the cards. Sorry, my friend - lol.
    Be well, Pat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RRGRMG; Thanks (again) for your comprehensive comment. I too enjoy every time I get to say "previous" administration. What a relief that nightmare is over. And thanks for "looking forward" to post #1959 when I was ten and you were just a sprite. Thanks for rubbing that in, BTW - ha!

      Delete
  3. So I am two years older than you! In 1949 I was still in Germany. I looked up what happened that year and it was quite momentous. The Federal Republic of Germany was founded (later known as West Germany) and the Soviets established the German Democratic Republic (what a joke of a name!) also known as East Germany. That remained the case for another 41 years. Kinda gives me some perspective. We immigrated in 1951 and didn't go back to visit grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins until 1959 which will be the subject of your next blog:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ines; Thanks for the comment. BTW, most people looking at the two of us side-by-side would NOT guess you were two years older than I and I also suspect few people would guess we were born as far back as 1947 & 1949. Thanks also for the perspective on 1949 re Germany; kind of cool that that year was so momentous for the country you were born in. FYI, the post re 1959 will not be my "next"; it will be when I get to post #1959, now eight posts away. 1969, 1979 etc. will then follow every ten posts until I get to 2019.

      Delete
    2. I should have said next blog in the series of the decades.....

      Delete
  4. Hi Pat. Entered the fray one year before you in 1948 so I too have to defer to Wiki for info about the state of world. Others have already noted memorable people and places. I will simply add that as a one-time sci-fi geek I was pleasantly surprised to see that a movie serial entitled "King of the Rocket Men" appeared in 1949. As a 1950's child I do remember seeing a TV series entitled "Commando Cody" which was inspired by the 1949 serial. In turn, Disney produced a 1991 film called "The Rocketeer" which was based on a Dave Stevens comic inspired by the earlier rocket man serials. Timothy Dalton is the bad guy and Jennifer Connelly is rescued by Bill Campbell. Alan Arkin co-stars. I have a soft spot for the 1930's and although it's pure fantasy, the period details are very cool. Here's a link to the 1949 Wiki reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_of_the_Rocket_Men. And the Commando Cody/Rocketeer article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commando_Cody

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve; Thanks for the comment and for checking out the comments from three other readers. Although I don't have much of a connection to the earlier iterations of "rocket..." stuff you refer to, I do recall enjoying that 91 film "The Rocketeer". Thanks also for the link.

      Delete