About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Friday, April 30, 2021

Hit The Road Pat

After over a full year of Covid-related delay, tomorrow starts the Southern States Swing my wife and I first began planning in early 2020. Talk about postponement of gratification!

Because technology can be fickle, time away from home sometimes means fewer reflections from the bell curve. And several recent WIFI experiences in the National Parks - we'll be visiting two of those over the next six weeks - have been spotty. I hope this extended road trip will be different.

Now if you hear from me less than you've grown accustomed to between now and mid-June and it's not related to technology then perhaps ..

* Some diehard southern Sheriff took offense at something this unreconstructed northerner said or did or ..

* We got stranded in Tennessee, Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama, Florida, Georgia, or North Carolina because we couldn't locate a charging station for our hybrid or ..

* My wife's company or the Civil Rights landmarks or the sights on Skyline Drive, the Natchez Trace or in Savannah took precedence some days over blogging. 

Either way, I hope you'll check in from time to time over the coming weeks. I'll do the same.  


8 comments:

  1. Good morning, Pat. So glad to hear that you're both off on your long overdue journey. Yes, WiFi technology can be fickle and usually calls the shots. But we know that you will try to post as often as you can.
    Quite a list of States you'll be traveling to/through. Hopefully pictures will accompany what should be some interesting blog posts. I have to admit that when I read 'some diehard southern sheriff' I immediately saw Sheriff Buford T. Justice in my mind. Aside from Ralph Kramden (one of the all time best characters), Jackie Gleason played this role to perfection.
    Be safe .. And ENJOY !!!
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob; Thanks for consistently commenting. Pics are a great idea; I'll make an effort to do that during our time on the road. In the meanwhile, I appreciate your film reference to that later-in-career Jackie Gleason role in the "Smokey ..." movies. Buford T. Justice happens to have one of my all-time favorite film put-down lines when he tells his dimwitted son in the first movie in that series = "You can not be a product of my loins". Ha!

      Delete
  2. Have a safe and wonderful trip!!! We’ll be sending positive travel vibes across the states. d. and company. 🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. d. and company; Thanks for well wishes and comment. I need those good vibes right now, let me tell you.

      Delete
  3. Hope you and Kim have great trip. What gadget(s) do you use for road music, if any? Do you bring a guitar? I would go crazy after just one week of no ax!
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. Yes Jackie Gleason was the absolute all time king of the "slow burn" comedy routine. His best stuff is still laugh-out-loud quality. Perhaps his closest rival was Oliver Hardy but that's a different generation and required the incredible Stan Laurel to succeed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.P.S. Make sure your next trip includes Nevada! (Karen and I say!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve; A hat trick of comments from my mensch! a.) Road music = Pandora & Satellite radio in the car (with the occasional Kindle book or podcast) & yes, my guitar is with me at all times. b.) My favorite Jackie Gleason (Honeymooners and Smokey & The Bandit are close behind) is as Minnesota Fats in "the Hustler" - so under-stated. c.) We're Nevada-bound in 2022 or 2023, at the latest. Stay tuned for further details. My p.s. When are you & I going to tackle "A Little Life"?

      Delete