About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Monday, August 16, 2021

That Thorny Word

 opinion: a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce certainty. 

What other noun in the English language screams more for a modifier than "opinion"? Like all of you, I've heard it said many times that everyone is entitled to their own opinion. And just as I've often yearned to hear adjectives like "educated" or "misinformed" placed in front of that thorny word, I've also often wished that hoary entitlement cliche be accompanied by a less-heard caveat each time someone utters it: Everyone is entitled to their own opinion; no one is entitled to their own facts. 

For anyone objecting to the need for a modifier to precede the word opinion and/or a caveat to follow the entitlement platitude, I refer you to the dictionary definition opening this post. I hope we can find common ground in saying a dictionary reflects a set of widely agreed-upon, neutral, non-political facts, i.e. how words are defined. So if my judgment in the paragraph above did not produce for you sufficient grounds for certainty, reject my minimally informed opinion. Additional facts: I'll survive that rejection. I'll be back on the bell curve again soon. Any educated opinions I offer will be grounded in facts that are not alternative.  


6 comments:

  1. Yes! Opinions can be OK but facts are not...This is a major problem in the USA right now. Correct, reliable, factual information seems to be at a low point. Not to get too political, but Fox, that other one like it (news max?) and all the Q-Anon crazies are getting way too much oxygen. It is time to take back facts, decency and morality in this country. Do ya think I feel strongly about this?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning, Pat. Hope this finds you all doing well.
    Your post is, once again, so very timely. I love '...no one is entitled to their own facts.' These words alone mean the most, to me at least, in todays post. And this, as we have all come to realize (as if we didn't realize it previously), is not always the case. It brings to mind another reference when the term 'opinion' is brought up. Yes, everyone is entitled to their own, but I've also heard that opinions are like 'a__holes' ... everyone has one. Unfortunately some prove themselves to be bigger ones than others. And they actually have defenders. But, even Fox 'news' (as your friend Ines has mentioned) has said that what some of what the on air staff has said is not to be believed, and that it is strictly for entertainment purposes. I'm paraphrasing, but I believe it was said in response to, and in an attempt to ward off, a lawsuit that was filed against them for misinformation.
    I believe in 'agreeing to disagree' when differing opinions come into conversation. But when it comes to misinformation, to lies, that have all proven to be wrong, the line has been crossed and opinion is no longer the correct term to use.
    And stealing from Ines again (giving full credit of course) 'Do ya think I feel strongly about this?!'
    Be well,
    See you soon,
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob; Thanks (again) for your comment. Turns out I was beginning to write my next post when your two most recent comments - including this one - popped up; gave me a good excuse for responding to you vs. continuing the effort it takes to compose a new post. Although I wasn't aiming at affirmation or agreement writing this particular post, I sincerely appreciate both you & Ines giving me exactly that. That aside, let me ask any Fox News regulars who happen to be lurking in my miniscule part of the blogosphere: What's your take on the need to more routinely modify the word "opinion" and/or insist on agreed-upon facts (like those supplied by a dictionary) when pontificating on current affairs and/or politics? Also: What PRECISELY are "alternative facts"?

      Delete
  3. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but if those opinions are uninformed, inflexible, and nothing more than alternate facts and media talking points, I'm entitled to not waste my time listening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love "I'm entitled to not waste my time listening." Amen to that.

      Delete