About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Sunday, August 1, 2021

National Charity Day

I've now used every August 1 since 2012 to propose a new national holiday here on my blog; safe to say no one can chastise me for a lack of persistence. If this year's unquestionably brilliant idea for National Charity Day lands with the same deadly thud as my earlier nine holiday proposals have, I'm forced to conclude August is doomed to forever remain the only barren month. Hallmark, do you realize what an opportunity you're missing by ignoring all my sage proposals?

What are your ideas for turning August 1 of each year into a day of national charity? How about we start with all charities being given unlimited free advertising to solicit for their organizations on that day? TV, radio, the Internet, direct mail - all free. Imagine how many new potential donators could be reached.  

How to appeal to people to open their wallets more than usual on the holiday? What if corporations agreed to a dollar-for-dollar match for any donation made by their employees on August 1? And to help preserve the spirit of the day, the corporate dollars are donated with no strings attached, i.e. no tax write-offs? 

Full disclosure: Some of my original ideas for marking this holiday were cynical and punitive; a few involved the IRS. I scuttled the first draft of this post soon after realizing my initial impulses were .. uncharitable.  

9 comments:

  1. I love this holiday and the ideas for execution are brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alison; Brilliant, huh? Now there's a word I can embrace.

      Delete
  2. I too like this idea. Perhaps it isn’t getting traction because people are too busy with summer activities and vacations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ines; Thanks for the comment; glad the idea works for you. Got any contacts at Hallmark?

      Delete
  3. These are some great ideas! I think you should take up advocating for this as a cause...definitely worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good morning, Pat. I hope this finds you and your family doing well. I definitely echo what others have said about this. Great idea. Brilliant suggestion. Definitely worthwhile. I love it. I would only add - and not in any way taking away from your generous suggestion - that I not only hope this becomes something real, but that it is able to then be expanded to a National Charity Day each month. I realize that this may reduce the likelihood of it happening since one day a year is usually the maximum one sees. But my (thankfully not very often) cynical side sees little else happening other than the one day, or one time, each year that different charities are dedicated for. Please don't get me wrong .. I love that during the holiday season people are more giving and helping and charitable. Just imagine how great it would be if that was extended for more than just the 'season of giving'. And, I know that there are many, many, organizations that are involved year round, full time. And that is wonderful and I admire their work. But just imagine if ...
    Be well,
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Bob; Thanks for the comment and support of my tenth (!!) August 1 new national holiday proposal. If I had the kind of notoriety/influence/cache to make even one of my "..great, brilliant, worthwhile.." ideas into a reality, I'd be thrilled. But I'm pleased if as far as I get is having a handful of people endorsing my notions here in bell curve land. See you soon, indeed.

      Delete