About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Saturday, November 27, 2021

Words For The Ages, Line Twenty-Two

"You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you might find you get what you need."

At twenty words, that phrase represents the longest entry in this series dating back to its inception in 2017. In addition, all twenty-one earlier entries have used a lyric containing no part of the title of the song chosen.  

But despite its slightly longer length and the fact that the lyric above includes the "hook" of this Rolling Stones tune, I stand by my choice. This particular Jagger/Richards lyric will stand as words for the ages. It is terse, able to be easily recalled, and embodies a universal truth. Which Jagger/Richards lyric fitting those simple criteria would you nominate in its place

Although admitting it may tempt some of you to recommend medication, I freely own up to spending way too many hours examining other Rolling Stones lyrics before settling on this gem. But this is my blog, that lyric snugly fits the criteria, and nowadays I actually get paid to talk about stuff like this. Such a deal. 


2 comments:

  1. Hello, Pat. I hope you're all doing well. Ahhh .. Mick and The Boys. Love the Stones. And, while I didn't spend too much time looking at their lyrics, one song of theirs immediately came to mind .. "Satisfaction". For some reason, every time I hear that song, I tend to sing louder when the line 'When I'm Watchin' My TV, and A Man Comes on and Tells Me, How White My Shirts Should be .... 'etc ...
    Not sure if it has any other meaning than just liking the way it sounds .. but it's always been one of my favorite Stones lyrics. Descriptive, covers the commercialization of that time, and every time basically ... And it's not in the Title.
    Be well,
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Bob; Thanks for the comment. Yeah, I like that lyric too although it's not quite terse enough to fit the (admittedly arbitrary) criteria I invented for this series.

      Delete