About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Friday, January 7, 2022

Songstrings

Though I've experimented with a similar idea a few times before - see the links below to three earlier posts - this iteration should be easier for anyone who cares to join in. Why not try your hand creating what I've recently begun calling songstrings?  A few simple guidelines:

* Create a meaningful sentence by concatenating two or more song titles using no filler words. 

* If you think a song you use might be unfamiliar to many, cite the composer who wrote it, the artist who made it famous, or both. Using Google for this purpose is not cheating. Using it to help you create your songstrings is. 

* Separate each song by using bold, italics, regular font, underlining or anything you can dream up to be sure individual song titles are clear to others. 

Ready? I'll start us off with some sentences using two, three, and four song titles and save the ones with five or more song titles for next time. As you might guess, I've got a lot more of these ready to unleash.  

Who can I turn to when I'm sixty four? 

I can't let go because you make me feel brand new.

The last time I saw her standing there so close (great song composed and recorded by Jake Holmes) I thought about you.


Reflections From The Bell Curve: The Song Is You

Reflections From The Bell Curve: The Song Is You (Reprise)

Reflections From The Bell Curve: An Unimaginable World


12 comments:

  1. Good morning, Pat. Quite a challenging Blog Post. I have to admit to giving this one some thought since I received it yesterday, as so many possibilities come to mind. Most didn't fit and I admit using to Google, but only as you suggested. I've narrowed it down to what may be some unique and interesting combinations ... well, at least in my mind:

    1. A Change is Gonna Come (Same Cooke) When Doves Cry (Prince)
    2. God Only Knows (The Beach Boys) You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling (The Righteous Brothers)
    3. Imagine (John Lennon) Life on Mars (David Bowie)
    4. What's Goin' On (Marvin Gaye) Over The Rainbow (Judy Garland)

    This was fun. Hope you're all doing well,
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Anonymous" Bob; Thanks for a good starting effort at songstrings. Although all four of your two-title concatenations work well, I like #3 and #4 the best. In between now and my next iteration in this series, you'll need to up your game a little. When next this appears, I'll be starting at 5 song titles and going up from there. So, keep your thinking cap on and be ready with at least one sentence that uses three song titles, minimum. With your love of music (and knowledge of show tunes) this shouldn't be that hard.

      Delete
  2. If I Were A Boy, If I Had A Boat, If I Loved You...Dynamite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous; Nice, although I'm going to have to Google all but the third song title, the only one immediately familiar to me. (Is the second a Lyle Lovett song?) Anyway, what I most like about your songstring is the ellipsis following three song titles all starting with the word "if". Gives the string a nice symmetry and momentum.

      Delete
  3. I can't make you love me. Leavin' on a jet plane. I left my heart in San Francisco.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who let the dogs out? Sweet freedom, hound dog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poker face. Call me the Gambler.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Falling! I'm going down. After the fall: ambulance blues.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tea for two. Gonna take you higher...cocaine. Needle and the damage done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know you've been thinking about this for several days and I love you for that. I most like the varied subject matter from one to the next. Nice. And, five songstrings published in two minutes will no doubt stand as a record, although all that advance thought definitely helped you get it done that quickly. OK, now my questions & quibbles: In songstring #2 - "Sweet Freedom" is by ...? #3 - Same question for "Poker Face" (I'm pretty sure you know two unique song titles follow that first title unknown to me, right?) Songstring #4 - Two songs in that one that are unknown to me = "Falling" & "After The Fall". And, in that same one: Is it the obscure Neil Young song "Ambulance Blues" you're referring to here? If yes, I'm impressed. BTW, as soon as you identify the artist or composer responsible for the two unfamiliar to me, #4 will stand as my favorite of your five even if it is more than one concatenated sentence. Thanks for the effort you put into this. Now, tell me when I see you in bed later tonight who is responsible for all those tunes I'm unfamiliar with among your five songstrings so I can rest more easily.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Poker Face is by Lady GaGa (C'mon man, that was a HUGE hit). Sweet Freedom is disco era Michael McDonald. Falling is Harry Styles (but if I had spelled it "Fallin'" it could have been Alicia Keyes.) Super sappy video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olGSAVOkkTI OK, I had to look up After the Fall...it's Journey. Yes, obscure Neil Young Ambulance Blues. You never said I couldn't use YouTube. If that is a rule, I'm out...it would be impossible for anyone but you to do it from memory!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the long-delayed response and filling me in on the four songs unfamiliar to me - Lady Gaga, Michael McDonald, Harry Styles & Journey - nice eclectic mix there. And I forgive you this one time for using YouTube, given how much thought you put into this.

      Delete