About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Wednesday, September 14, 2022

Better Late Than Never (Redux)

Although there's no chance of me becoming a musical household name in my community, 2022 has become the best year in many for the number of live performances I've had. And despite my long-held resistance to being called "background music" - an oxymoronic expression because music is always in the foreground for me - the years have softened the edges of my ego enough that my resistance to that expression no longer gets in the way of my enjoyment when I play for others. Usually. As I've often mused here, better late than never. 

My next live performance will be at the centennial celebration of my hometown library on September 22. This first-of-its-kind advance announcement of a gig marks another musical - and personal - breakthrough for me. My reticence about publicly announcing where others could hear me play solo guitar is directly connected to the aforementioned nasty ego and its evil twin, insecurity. I'll spare you the self-talk that blocked me from making an announcement like this over these past eleven years. Better late than never, right? 

Now the big challenge looms. On September 22, can I let go of the nonsense about "background music", at least for the two hours when I'm serving that purpose? If yes, can I relax enough into my playing to find a few moments of magic? If yes, will my self-talk about my limitations as a player allow me to recognize those magical moments and bathe in that light? If yes, then indeed it will be better late than never.        

8 comments:

  1. Hi Pat, Jim Rice here. Glad that you’ve come to this place. Enjoy! My last guitar teacher, who became a good friend, was an excellent player. He intensely disliked events where he was the background music, not because people weren’t paying much attention but because they too often treated him rudely. They’d interrupt his playing with comments, make requests in a demanding, demeaning way, etc. He said the fancier the country club the worse it was bound to be and he turned all country club events down.Over the years he’d just had enough. However, he would go to Europe for two months each year and really enjoyed playing there whether it was for background music or a concert. The people there were apparently much more respectful of the musicians.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jim; Nice to see a comment from you. Thanks for the encouragement and the anecdote about your teacher's experience, something I relate to in a big way. Looking forward to hanging out with you & Sandy up in Maine in a few days.

      Delete
  2. Hi Pat. Good luck on the 22nd. I can't attend but even if I could, you don't mention where your home town is in the blog....Is this intentional?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ines; Not mentioning my hometown was indeed intentional. Thanks for the well wishes.

      Delete
  3. Hello, Pat. Like Jim, I also had a music teacher who would play small venues from time to time. I recall him saying that, at times, he felt as if he was part of the decor rather than the entertainment. But when playing at a bar or restaurant the people are drinking, eating, and not necessarily listening to the music as much as the conversations they're having. At those times, he would play for himself or for friends who came to see him. He would also, everyone now and then, toss in something unexpected to see if there is any response. With exception to your recordings with Alison, or the 2-3 times you brought your guitar to one of your classes, I've not had the pleasure of hearing you perform in person. If I'm able to, I would like to come and listen to you play. Insecurity be damned!! Have Fun !! Enjoy !!
    By the way - What time?
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob; Thanks for the comment and supportive words.

      Delete
  4. Pat, I will always cherish the memory of your encouragement to perform together with you at a party of friends one night, (and one night only, folks!) You let me pick out the 3 or 4 numbers we performed, and I can't exactly remember what they were, (I think one of them was "All Along the Watchtower" ?) Anyway, it was great (nervous making for me) fun and fulfilled a dream I had of performing in public. It was a great lesson in leaving behind my ego and focusing on putting across the song. The song is all what it's all about. I'm very happy to hear you are performing again and I wish you all the best. BTW, if you're playing your Guild acoustic, in your hands, it's far and away one of best sounding axes I've ever heard. I'm a tone geek and I know whereof I speak.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve; I recall having fun playing for our "aud" (too small a group to properly be called an audience) that night. I think we also played "Sunny Afternoon" and "Something", although my memory could be letting me down. Unfortunately, that G-41 acoustic you speak of - which remains the best sounding acoustic I've ever heard - had to be retired not long ago because it became unplayable. I replaced it last August with another Guild, a smaller dreadnought that sounds really good but doesn't quite match the G-41. Thanks for the comment.

      Delete