About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Monday, September 26, 2022

ISS Hit Parade

After almost two years steadily listening to Sirius, I've become an unapologetic evangelist for satellite radio. My favorite stations for popular music are Little Steven's Underground Garage and Deep Tracks. If you listen to satellite radio, what are some of your favorites, popular music or otherwise?

Despite my evangelism, I've recently started to succumb to what I now term ISS - instant station switching. This syndrome is triggered primarily by three bands. I've tried, honest, to give each of these bands their musical due over the past two years. Now, before losing patience with my musical rant, consider which bands can induce ISS in you. Come on, be honest. I'll start this crabby riff with the band that triggers me most quickly and then work my way "up" to the bottom. 

* The Ramones: For two years I've searched for any of the following in any Ramones song: 1.) An infectious or mildly captivating rhythmic flourish, an interesting chord change, a memorable melody. So far = no, not one, less than zero; 2.) A wise, clever, even a worthwhile lyric? No luck. Truth be told, I'd settle for a useful rhyme or two. OK boys, if you can't give me any of that how about ... 3.) a charismatic lead vocalist, a decent harmony, a solo that indicates you practiced your instrument? I defy any reader to point me to a Ramones song containing any of those let alone any elements from #1 or #2. What exactly is supposed to dissuade me from ISS? The late 70s punk-rock energy, you say? Give me the Police, Elvis Costello, Joe Jackson from that era. Each of them delivers that jolt as well as enough elements from #1, 2, and 3 to make it worth my time as a listener.   

* Rush:  Three exceptional musicians who write rhythmically complex and musically challenging tunes, despite the groan-inducing, Yes-inspired, Yoda meets the Spaceman in Hobbit-land lyrics. But their musical and rhythmic virtuosity simply does not provide enough ballast for their only singer whose voice prompts involuntary teeth-grinding in me. If I happen to stumble onto a Rush tune during a startling instrumental passage - maybe after Ramones-driven ISS - I continue listening; these guys are astonishing players. But as soon as the vocal resumes, ISS. BTW, this is the only band of these three who are NOT darlings of the musical press, meaning this is one instance when I agree with the critics. 

* The Grateful Dead:  Over the almost sixty years I've been performing, I've known only one worthy musician who is a fan of these 60s stalwarts - my beloved brother, an innately talented guitarist and singer. As a consequence, I must admit there must be something to their music, all those stoned non-musician Deadheads aside. But after two years of giving them many opportunities to persuade me otherwise, I submit their best songs - they've written several - would be better served if someone less chemically impaired were playing them, especially on any one of their many interminable live records. And the less said about the out-of-tune ISS-guaranteed attempts the Grateful Dead make at harmonizing the better. Not one of the three lead vocalists in this revered band is great but at least when they don't try to harmonize, ISS can sometimes be temporarily avoided. 

Your turn. I simply don't buy it if you tell me there is not at least one recording artist who drives you to ISS. 

6 comments:

  1. Good afternoon, Pat. I am also an avid listener of satellite radio. Although there are still 1 or 2 things that we listen to on terrestial radio, it's satellite all the way. As far as 'ISS" .. 2 of the 3 you've listed are on my list with the possible exception of a song here or there. I honestly laughed out loud when you made reference to Rush and Mr. Lee's voice. I want to like Rush. I honestly do. And, you are 100% correct that, musically, they are great. But ... ISS when the vocals begin. Back in the 70's I dated a woman who was a huge DeadHead. There was a bar/club that used to be in Tinton Falls (it's an Italian Restaurant now) that was a big hangout for DeadHeads that she would frequent and I would join her. In 1977 the Grateful Dead played a concert at Raceway Park in Englishtown, NJ. Reported attendance was well over 100,000. Again, there are a couple of their songs that I will listen to, but after the concert and dating a DeadHead, I just never got it. I have to admit to liking the Ramones. Not a big fan and I don't think I own any of their albums/songs/. But I find their songs to be fun. Not great. Just fun. For me, I have lost interest in Pat Benatar. There are some good lyrics and she does have a powerful voice. And there is some very good guitar playing by Neil Giraldo - also her husband - that is worth listening to. And I've seen her in concert. But, at least to me, her vocals are so angry that ISS will, more often than not, happen.
    As far as other uses of ISS - some specific songs at different times will cause ISS. I don't recall who said this initially, and it was said more so in relation to the number of available TV channels, but, and I'm paraphrasing, 'people aren't interested in what's on. They're interested in what else is on'.
    Be well,
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob; Glad to hear we are mostly aligned vis a vis Rush and the Dead. Though the Ramones don't have you lunging for the dial (dating myself there in the digital touch-free age) as they for me, we'll have to agree to disagree there. Fun? I'm sorry to say, their music and performances have never reached even that low bar for me. Angry Pat Benatar, huh? She hasn't (yet) had that ISS effect on me but it IS early in my satellite radio life so stay tuned. BTW, Neil's guitar solo on "Precious Time" was on the long list for my Mt. Rushmore of guitar solos back in May. It will likely always remain in my top 100 best guitar solos of all time in the rock/pop/blues vein. Thanks for a well-considered response to this post, our differing view about the Ramones aside.

      Delete
  2. I resort to ISS after 30 seconds of any Yes song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure I witnessed that as recently as yesterday, no?

      Delete
  3. I agree with Bob, how can you not like the Ramones. I know that they are not the greatest musicians, Joey does not have a great voice, Dee Dee and Johnny only play a handful of chords, and Tommy or Marky keeping a manic tempo. Doesn't your foot start tapping and you start boppin when you hear one of their songs? Their songs are simple and catchy and they have so much energy that you you can't help yourself from having fun. They inspired so many other artists (both good and bad) bceause they showed that anyone could make music in their garage without a lot of talent.

    As for ISS, my trigger is more the genre than the artist or song. Luckily with Sirius/XM I can easily pick the genres I like by station and not add any of the ones I don't like to my favorites. I especially like the channels that play songs that I have not heard recently or at all from artists that I know and artists that are new to me. What bothers me most about some of the stations, as you have mentioned in a previous post, are the DJs. Some will ramble on about the most boring minutiae. I just want them to play the music. I'm sure you know which ones I am talking about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris; Although you are the world's greatest non-musician music lover, I will take exception to your defense of the Ramones, energy or not. As I said in my post, when it comes to the energy of early new wave/punk, I need at least one of the other elements I mentioned to avoid ISS. I don't need MORE than one of those elements but I do need at least one. To my ears, their songs are not "catchy" at all because ALL of those elements are missing. Sorry to be so crabby but the Ramones are my top candidate - without competition - for ISS. On the other hand, you & I are fully aligned with respect to those talky DJs, especially you-know-who and his over-the-top hyperbole. Thanks for the comment, our divide on the Ramones notwithstanding.

      Delete