About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Sunday, September 18, 2022

Sustenance Through Encouragement

Of the pursuits that have energized me over the last decade, my guitar playing and this blog are at the top of the list. Even though both have provided plenty of frustrating moments, it's difficult for me to describe how each has enriched my post full-time work life. That enrichment is enhanced every day by the woman I married thirty-nine years ago yesterday. 

Reflections From The Bell Curve: On This Day In 1983

A few weeks before our anniversary, I was reflecting on my evolution as a guitarist. Without my wife's unwavering support and encouragement, I'm not sure how I would have navigated the musical low points I've encountered since we met in 1978. She has never failed me in this regard. 

Reflections From The Bell Curve: Reminiscing Re Routines, Rituals & Riffs  

For a long time after the maiden voyage of this blog, my wife and daughter were the only people who pushed me to persist. Eleven and a half years later, it's hard for me to imagine what my days would feel like without this creative outlet that energizes me. It's even harder for me to imagine a life without a best friend whose encouragement sustains me daily. 

6 comments:

  1. I really loved this one, Pat. Karen, my spouse of 43 years, many years ago, encouraged my love of guitar playing by urging me to become one of your students because she already knew Kim through their work history. You totally transformed my relationship to the instrument from sorta-kinda to full on engagement. The best compliment I can pay your teaching ability is that whenever I encounter performance ideas from the myriad of online teachers out there, whether they be within my grasp or not, I understand what it is they're trying to get across because you gave me such a solid grounding in theory and practice. As you often said during our three years together, the guitar is a wonderful instrument that reveals new aspects of itself the more you play. It is really inexhaustible. For this reason, I owe you an enormous debt of gratitude.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve; Thanks for two comments in one day, both in the dead of night. Appreciate the kind words about this post and the guitar time we spent together. You were perhaps my most dedicated student ever. Aren't we both lucky to have such encouraging partners?

      Delete
  2. Thank you, Pat, but you give me far too much credit. It's your persistence that keeps you going for so many years toward your goals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweetheart; I respectfully disagree. My persistence and drive toward my goals would have been much more tenuous without your support.

      Delete
  3. Good afternoon, Pat and, to begin properly, Happy Anniversary !! I, too, have had the benefit of a very supportive spouse. Almost to the point of spoiling me. Wait, who am I kidding, she is definitely spoiling me. And it not only encourages me to continue but also provides a wonderful sense of comfort knowing that she is there. Happy Anniversary, to you and Kim, again. I hope you had a wonderful day
    Be well,
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob; Thanks for both the well wishes for my 9/17 wedding anniversary AND for four comments in one day, again! Ain't it great to be spoiled like we both are?

      Delete