About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Monday, September 5, 2022

The Life Behind the Name

Although I enjoyed the Talking Heads at the height of their popularity, I wouldn't call myself a fan of their music. Consequently, even though many people recommended David Byrne's American Utopia to me upon its release, I didn't rush to watch it.

It's now been several months and I still haven't shaken the effect that the sobering conclusion of that show had on me. On several occasions since hearing that long list of names intoned one after the other, some questions have returned to me unbidden. 

* How did it escape me that every victim of police brutality across the U.S. had a life story? 

* What can help the grieving families of those victims ever feel whole again?

* When did I first become so de-sensitized to this sad but undeniable modern-day reality that a reading of names was needed to return my humanity to me? 

Much as it pains me to say it, I cannot envision what it will take for this carnage to end.    


3 comments:

  1. Good afternoon, Pat. I agree that the ending of 'American Utopia' was sobering. And I can probably write my comments about that show in its entirety (I feel the same about the Talking Heads music, by the way) but I'd rather offer my comments on the other points you raise. I am a newspaper reader. Not televised news as much. And I have been doing this longer than I can recall. Although I've changed (advanced?) from a physical paper to reading on my iPad, mostly due to cost and convenience, I still read a paper every morning while having my coffee. To your points - I have noticed that as each days news covers tragedy after tragedy I tend to read each specific story less and less. I look at the headlines and will scan for details, but have starting to spend less time on these stories. I don't believe I've become desensitized to these issues but have almost become numb to the grim realities being reported on a daily basis. The different stories start to blend together. And although I care very much about what is happening and can get very emotional while reading of all of the lives affected, the senseless loss and waste and will never understand the callousness of those committing these atrocities, I have to take that 'step back' to preserve my own emotional well being. And although these things will, sadly, continue to occur, I will stay up to date on what is happening in the world, and try to live my life in the best way I can. Maybe it's in defiance of those events. My way of fighting back. But ... and stealing your ending ... 'Much as it pains me to say it, I cannot envision what it will take for this carnage to end'. But I will also continue to have hope that someday it will.
    Be well,
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Bob; Thanks for your honest comment. I get your point about "...stepping back..." and therein lies the dilemma. The more and more we are forced to step back to preserve our own "...emotional well being..." the easier it becomes to lose our humanity. I owe a debt of thanks to David Byrne for reminding me - through his work - to step back IN, if even for just a moment. Those victims deserve nothing less.

      Delete
    2. Totally agree, Pat. Thank you

      Delete