About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Monday, September 23, 2024

Stay Tuned

Ever heard of Shane Atkinson? 

I hadn't either until watching LaRoy, Texas. Soon after arriving back home, I had to know who wrote the screenplay for the film I'd watched on my flight. After learning Atkinson had also directed this little gem, I knew his was a name worth remembering. The last film written and directed by the same person that impressed me this much was The Fabulous Baker Boys. For anyone taking notes, Steve Kloves was responsible for that 1989 treasure. 

Given how frequently over-hyped marquee movies disappoint me (Maestro or Killers of the Flower Moon, anyone?), being pleasantly surprised by something I never heard of is such a treat. I'm guessing Atkinson has seen Fargo more than once - who hasn't? - but the Coen-ish comedy-noir tone he juggles expertly in LaRoy, Texas did not strike me as derivative. Also, his casting of the criminally under-used Dylan Baker as a vicious killer and Steve Zahn as a hapless private eye is nearly perfect. I was less impressed by John Maguro in the lead role, though he held his own until his final scene, the only place this movie let me down.  

The best part? Because my daughter is part of a writer/director team beginning to make inroads in the wacky film industry, movies like LaRoy, Texas and The Fabulous Baker Boys - as well as the reputation of the Coen Brothers - all give me hope. Stay closely tuned and I'll be sure to let you know when you can start looking for her name, as I did for Shane Atkinson's.      

No comments:

Post a Comment