About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Wednesday, September 25, 2024

#32 (On My Way to 100)

Reflections From The Bell Curve: Always on the Lookout

Given just five authors have been added to my list in two years, it appears the strategy I announced in the 2022 post above was well considered. At my current pace, I will still be well under 100 "favorite" authors in my centennial year. I wonder who else might ascend into my pantheon between now and 2049. More to the point, how likely is it that I'll still be blogging as my first century comes to a close? I guess we'll see.  

For those keeping track, on the strength of The Heaven and Earth Grocery Store, James McBride now holds author position #32 on my venerated, non-hierarchal list. Not only is this the third McBride title in a row that has knocked me out, this 2023 powerhouse also holds the dubious distinction of being my longest ever book journal entry. I couldn't stop gushing/writing; I wanted to hold onto this reading experience as long as possible. 

"Chona had never been one to play by the rules of American society...To her the world was not a china closet where you admire this and don't touch that. Rather she saw it as a place where every act of living was a chance for tikkun olam, to improve the world. The tiny woman with the bad foot was all soul." 

McBride's gift for creating memorable characters like Chona is surpassed only by his generous heart. If you read just one book this year, consider making it The Heaven and Earth Grocery Store. Please. 

 

Reflections From The Bell Curve: Swinging With James McBride

Reflections From The Bell Curve: Reading Re-Cap: 2020

4 comments:

  1. That is indeed a wonderful book. I read it last year. James McBride is a favorite of mine as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true. Wonderful book! Love the quote you chose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beni; I had another thirty or so quotes I could have used. Thanks for the comment and the recommendation. Now about that application for entry to my reading posse.

      Delete