About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Sunday, October 29, 2023

An Old Friend

As my wife and I were planning our first trip to Africa - scheduled for February 2024 - we decided we'd like to read at least a few books beforehand about the four countries we'd be visiting. Because our traveling partners include a woman with whom I've been meeting every month since 2015 for one-on-one book discussions, the two of us also decided to devote at least one of our pre-February meetings to a book about the same area of the world. Happily, the path of those two decisions led me back to my old friend Paul Theroux.

The last time Paul thrilled me was in 1989 when I read My Secret History soon after its release. I'd read a few of his other novels before that, all based on first being blown away by Mosquito Coast in 1981. To this day, that book remains a peak reading experience in my life, enriched just a few years later thanks to the excellent film adaptation starring Harrison Ford as the infuriatingly unforgettable Ally Fox.  

Reflections From The Bell Curve: #7: The Mt. Rushmore Series

And now, after finishing The Last Train to Zona Verde (2013) - Theroux's exceptional travelogue about his trip to the same area of Africa I'll be visiting - I'm certain this old friend will be by my side on a more regular basis. That won't be difficult given his massive catalogue of over thirty novels and twenty books of non-fiction, many of the latter related to his insatiable wanderlust.

"But what did this all add up to except a traveler's tale, something to report, the I-did-it boast, newsworthy to those who don't travel?"  In my experience, writers of travel fiction rarely land on insights about themselves as penetrating as that. End-to-end, Last Train to Zona Verde is probably the best travel book I've ever read. I'm so pleased to have become re-acquainted with this old friend. When did this last happen to you?

Reflections From The Bell Curve: #38: The Mt. Rushmore Series


3 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to reading this Theroux book, hopefully before our trip. I can't think of any favorite travel books per se, but I loved Under the Tuscan Sun (more of a travel book meets HGTV's Fixer Upper meets Stanley Tucci 'Searching for Italy'). Also A Year in Provence, which is similar...only in France!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Pat. OK, as much as I would like to comment about the books you've mentioned - and I've not had the pleasure of reading any of the ones you've listed, I can only say ... Africa !!! Wow !!! Have a wonderful trip and, however it is possible, post pictures somewhere.
    Be well,
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Boob (redux); Thanks for the well wishes and I'll try to remember to post a few pics here especially the wild life, which I'm told will be plentiful.

      Delete