About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Thursday, October 26, 2023

The Champion

Join me in a brief and harmless thought experiment, using three simple steps:

1.) Think of some of your most commonly used and/or favorite expressions.

2.) Narrow those expressions down to those that have their origin in sports.

3.) Which sport has the greatest number of your most commonly used and/or favorite expressions?

As today's reflection began forming in my mind while on a long bike ride, I instinctively thought baseball expressions would easily win out, especially given my history. Struck out, home run, and out of the park came to me instantly. But the more I mused and the further I rode, the more likely it seemed that boxing holds this dubious distinction for me. Down for the count, on the ropes, and knockout are far more likely to come out of my mouth on a regular basis than those three baseball expressions. 

As I approached home, horse racing entered my mundane competition. After all, bringing up the rearlast leg, and final stretch are all expressions I use nearly as often as the baseball or boxing stuff. Then, saved by the bell came to me as I pulled into my driveway. For me, boxing is the champion. How about for you?

p.s. (October 27): Is it too late to add lightweight as #6 on the list of my most commonly used and favorite expressions, all of which have their origin in boxing? Oh well; my blog, my rules. In the meanwhile, I patiently await your #1 sport in this painless sweepstakes.


2 comments:

  1. Hello, Pat. Interestingly enough, and as much as a sports fan as I am - mostly Hockey (Lets Go Rangers), and baseball (NY Yankees, of course as I was burnin the Bronx) - I have to say that of my most frequently used expressions, none are sports related. When I was younger my friends and I would usually make some reference to a sports saying, but not so much anymore. In fact, most of the sayings that my wife and I will use are more movie and/or TV related. I know that this comment isn't the theme of your post, but I think its a bit funny that until reading your post I had not realized that.
    Be well,
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob; As always, appreciate your unwavering support. Even if sports expressions are not your "go-to" (I use movie references myself quite a bit), I wonder if there aren't more of them in your repertoire than you readily recognize. I'd be surprised if that weren't the case. Anyway, thanks for giving it some thought, sill as it is.

      Delete