About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Sunday, October 1, 2023

Is There Enough Time?

Patience and kindness.

Nearly everywhere I look - including at myself - it seems to me patience and kindness are in short supply these days. The optimist in me wants to believe there's hope - both for me and the world - for an about-face on these two critically important attributes. On good days, I can even convince myself that there's still time.  

https://reflectionsfromthebellcurve.blogspot.com/2013/01/my-grade-so-far-patience.html

However, recently stumbling across the post above gave me serious pause. Because even if there's still time, more than a decade has passed since I gave myself a "C" for patience. And today? The best I can say is perhaps I've reached the "C+" mark. Given my glacial rate of improvement, I'll need thirty years or so to reach even an "A-". Lots of work to do, not a great deal of time. How about you? What grade would you give yourself for patience, considering the definition opening my January 2013 reflection? How much improvement have you seen in your patience over the last decade? Is there enough time for you or me to become the change we wish to see in the world? 

https://reflectionsfromthebellcurve.blogspot.com/2019/10/kindness-over-everything.html

Kindness over everything. Though I used those words as a centerpiece, I'm not sure what progress I've made in manifesting that noble aspiration since the publication of that second post . Because today was a good day, right this moment I'm feeling like there's still time for me - and the world - to turn the corner on kindness. Still, that post was published four years ago. Is there enough time? And you? How well are you doing putting kindness first?


4 comments:

  1. I find that patience and kindness are easy virtues to put forth on "good days," but the days when I wake up on the wrong side of the bed, they are the first to be tossed aside. Always working on this, thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous; Thanks for the honest comment. And you're welcome for the reminder. My public statements on this blog serve as exactly that for me, i.e., reminders of what needs work.

      Delete
  2. Hello, Pat. I have to agree with how 'Anonymous' (above) put it. While it may not always be the result of getting up on the wrong side of the bed - as other things can easily set me off - sadly, Patience and Kindness are usually casualties of this. Not proud it and, among other things, I strive to be more conscious of this.
    Be well,
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob; Another day with comments from you on five different posts. Thanks so much. And in this case, thanks for commiserating with me on patience and kindness, two attributes that I believe are worth our continuous attention.

      Delete