About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Thursday, October 19, 2023

Another Late-in-Life Gift

Next Wednesday, my newest music course - A Musical Journey Through the Past - will begin its maiden voyage. I'm looking forward to communing with the students who'll be strolling with me through history via song. If anyone reading this has a last-minute idea for a song they think might fit my theme, please send it my way. (Songs using an actual name, event, or place from either recent or past history are preferred.) To date, nearly every one of the twenty courses I've developed and taught has had at least one song added as the whistle is blowing. I've even added a tune after a course has commenced, frequently one suggested by a student taking the class.    

These classes have become a highlight in my life primarily because of the music lovers I've come to know since beginning to teach in 2014. The prep is arduous, the teaching is enjoyable, but the music lovers who repeatedly attend make it a total blast. A few of these folks have become part of my life outside the classroom. Like the traveling soulmates I met in Alaska in 2015, these once "students" - now friends - have been a wonderful late-in-life gift. I'm fortunate to have connected so meaningfully with all of these people. With respect to the music lovers who've become friends, I'm additionally humbled by the support they've given my courses, this blog, and other creative endeavors I've undertaken.

To those friends - and all the music loving participants I've come to know over the last ten years - thank you. 

 

3 comments:

  1. Your courses have enriched my life, too. I’ve enjoyed watching you put the content and music together, and occasionally contributing an idea for a song to include. I had a great time and learned a lot by attending a few of your classes. And I benefit immensely by the fellow music lovers that you bring into our circle of friends. Glad you are always working on new ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning, Pat. With just a couple of days before your class I'm probably a little late with these suggestions, but here are a few that came to mind ...
    1. Ohio - CSN&Y
    2. Sunday, Bloody Sunday - U2
    3. Zombie - The Cranberries
    4. Sympathy for the Devil - The Stones
    5. Genocide - Thin Lizzy
    6. Jack Ruby - Deep Purple
    As I have since I first attended one of your classes, I am very much looking forward to seeing what this one will bring - aside from your knowledge and never ending enthusiasm for music. Those remain the primary reasons for me.
    Be well,
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob; Turns out song#1 above was on my long list; may/may not make the final cut. Song #2 is slotted for session two, unless something shifts. And, #4 is my opening cut for session one. I'm unfamiliar with songs #3, 5, 6, all of which will now go on my never-off musical radar. Thanks for the comment. And, see you tomorrow.

      Delete