About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Wednesday, October 4, 2023

What Will You Miss?

Though the overwhelming majority of folks either never think about it or are in deep denial, I'm confident asserting that at some point, the grid - or parts of it - are going to go down. To anyone except those who disagree with my premise: When that inevitable event occurs, what will you miss most? 

Because I have frequently railed - uselessly - about the pernicious, divisive, and mind-numbing by-products of technology, my wife, daughter, and any regular reader of this blog may be surprised to learn that .. a.) I've  reflected on this scenario at all and .. b.) I'll miss anything when the grid crashes. Consequently, both as a gesture of solidarity with technology devotees and, to prove once and for all to loved ones that I am not a Luddite, directly below are the three things I'll miss most when that particular pile of poop hits the rotary, as it surely will. Alphabetically:

* ATM machines: Few things frustrated me more in the pre-modern technology era than waiting in a long line at the bank for my money. 

* Bar codes:  Only marginally less frustrating were those supermarket lines, notwithstanding the nearby tabloids you could skim during the interminable wait while the cashier phoned a manager about the price of rhubarb.  

* EZ pass: Ditto for the lines on any toll road.  (I know all three of these allow Big Brother Tech to track my everyday whereabouts but I don't have anything to hide.) 

That's it. If you were waiting for me to cite the Internet because it provides a platform for my routine rants, raves, and reflections, sorry to disappoint. My ego may be super-sized, but even my solipsism has limits. Because much as I enjoy blogging, regularly make use of a few websites like Goodreads and Wikipedia, and like the convenience of e-mail, I'd be happy to revert back to my other writing vessels, go to the library and use encyclopedias, and make more phone calls with my landline. Your turn.   

4 comments:

  1. Great rant - I won't miss my cell phone - if that thing is part of the grid - oh, there are no lines on the toll roads in NY - don't even have to slow down as they read yoyr pass and plate...Howard Riley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Howard; Thanks for joining the bell curve minions with your comment. I'm relieved knowing there's at least one person who reads my blog that wouldn't miss cell phones. I'd love to return to the time when we went to restaurants, concerts, and other people's homes to enjoy our food, listen to music, and have interesting conversations instead of competing with multiple screens facing up, binging endlessly.

      Delete
  2. Hello, Pat. Can I say that Id' miss your blog ? (lol).
    I think that I would probably miss the ability to get information, answers, etc, as quickly as we are able to now. Think back to not that many years ago when we had to suffer through dial-up modems and how wonderful e thought it was because we could access the World Wide Web !!! And now - so much faster. Technology continues to move and it's just getting faster and faster. Cell Phones weren't around when I was younger but now I will turn around and go back home if for some reason I forgot to take it. Mostly for the security it provides - in case of emergency, in case I am needed by my wife, son, daughter, etc. I wonder if people missed their horses after 'horseless carriages' made their appearance. I'm sure there was some opposition but ... it's all progress in one way or another.
    Be well,
    Bob




    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob; Dial-up modems - a blast from the (not-so-distant) past! I love your observation about horses and horseless carriages. That could turn up in a near-future post and if it does I'll be sure to give you credit.

      Delete