About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

A Non-Caffeinated Recipe For Energy

My abundant energy is a trait people seem to notice. That energy is a gift, especially when I'm able to point it in positive directions. But there are still times when my energy flags. I've noticed it usually has little to do with how much sleep I've gotten or how much I've exerted myself.  What do you do when you feel out of gas?

I've used many tried and true methods like more exercise, better diet, positive self-talk, etc. Lately, I've also observed how just being around young people gives me a jolt. Without being a creepy old man, I try to engage these folks and learn about them - what they do for a living, what they're reading, listening to, the recent films they've enjoyed. My young adult daughter is a helpful but not critical entree into this world. Because I invariably walk away from these encounters more juiced, I just try everywhere I go. What's the worst that can happen? The person won't talk to me? So? To me, the potential benefit outweighs the risk.

In addition to the infusion of energy I get, the possibility of making a genuine human connection is always present. As recently as yesterday, a short interaction with a college student in a local coffee shop gave me a boost, several nuggets I might use in a future blog post, and reminded me of how much I love the word "savor". Small pleasures, no doubt. Where did your last boost come from?   

No comments:

Post a Comment