About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Saturday, November 1, 2014

Three For Three

Although it's too soon to call it a streak, it's fair to say I'm climbing out of the slump. After months of either walks or outs, i.e. novels that have been OK at best, the last three I've finished have all solidly hit the ball.

1.) Discerning readers might disagree whether author David Mitchell hit a single or a double with "The Thousand Autumns of Jacob DeZoet" (2010). But none would argue he scored a hit with his tale of commerce, cruelty and politics as the 18th century draws to a close.

2.) "The Dinner" (2012) by Herman Koch is as funny as it is dark and the marvelously unhinged narrator sometimes reminded me of myself - a little scary. For my money, a solid triple, despite the distinctly bitter 21st century aftertaste.

3.) I'm still reeling from Marilynne Robinson's "Home" (2008). Just sample the first thirty five pages and tell me the last time you read dialogue this perfect. This one goes into home run territory along with "A Visit From The Goon Squad", "Elegance of the Hedgehog" & "The Human Stain". And like all three of those contemporary winners, "Home" will no doubt find its way back to my blog whenever an exemplar is needed.

How about you? In a slump? Climbing out of one? On a streak?

http://reflectionsfromthebellcurve.blogspot.com/2014/01/2nd-attempt-to-capture-sports-market.html

No comments:

Post a Comment