About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Thursday, July 11, 2019

Greece Is The Word - Fall and Rise Is The Book

Before beginning, I'm going to request no reader goes all "glass half-empty" on me. I'm a life loving optimist but Kellyanne Conway aside, facts are facts. And the fact is that I have more years behind me than in front of me. Consequently, saying my first trip to Greece over the next two weeks will likely be my last is not negative, pessimistic, or morbid. Should I fall in love with the country, there's always a chance I'd choose to return. But given how many other places are on my "want to visit" list - and considering our mission to see all the National Parks in the U.S. - I'd say those chances are slim.

In the meanwhile, I anticipate our time in Greece will be exhilarating, educational, and warm. Having to make all the arrangements for this time away reminded my wife and me how convenient it is when a travel group like Road Scholar attends to the details. But once we're in the air tonight, cocktail in hand, all those minor hassles will quickly fade.

Recently, when I've known the bell curve would be silent more than a few days, I've provided a few tasty morsels for you to digest as you anxiously await my return. During this absence, I'm suggesting a large meal. I'm confident saying Fall and Rise: The Story of 9/11 (2019) by Mitchell Zuckoff is the book about our national nightmare that people will reference for the rest of my life and beyond. Just as this trip to Greece will likely be my last, Zuckoff's masterwork will likely be the last book I read about that awful day. I cannot recommend it enough. If you invest the time to read it, please comment on this post and tell me your reaction. I'll look forward to reading those comments on/about July 24.   

1 comment: