About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Monday, December 21, 2020

Reading Re-Cap: 2020

For the third iteration of one of my newest series, I've retained the headings invented in 2018 and used both that year and last. You needn't do the same; use any headings you wish to entice others to read a book that moved you this year, date of publication aside. If anyone tries one of mine, I'd welcome hearing your reaction. 

Novel most likely to be recommended to casual readers: Such A Fun Age (2019) - Kiley Reid. Like the first two novels cited under this heading, I'm not qualifying my enjoyment of this book using the word "casual". Reid's debut is assured, nuanced, and modern in its sensibility. And though it can be read quickly, a return visit would surely reveal how much is on this smart young author's mind. 

Novel most likely to be recommended to discerning readers: First year for a tie under this heading: The Overstory (2018) by Richard Powers and Cloud Atlas (2004) by David Mitchell

Novel and non-fiction book that most deepened my experience of living: The Good Lord Bird (2013) by James McBride and Socrates Express (2020) by Eric Weiner.  

Most worthwhile re-read: Lord of Misrule (2010) - Jaimy Gordon.

Most intriguing: The Library Book (2018) - Susan Orlean. A non-fiction author who never disappoints delivers this bookworm's delight - history, quirky people, bibliomania = catnip for a geek like me.   

Most personally useful: Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life (2005) - Amy Krouse Rosenthal. It was deeply affirming to read a book by someone who would have understood why my blog is called Reflections From the Bell Curve. Via these ramblings, I've found a way to celebrate, like Rosenthal, my ordinary life. 

Celebrate with me. Tell me and anyone who is reading about you, 2020, and books. 

2 comments:

  1. Non-fiction which stretched me: Caste by Isabel Wilkerson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ines; Thanks for comment and for providing a potential new heading for this series, i.e. "non-fiction that stretched me" - nice.

      Delete