About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Tuesday, January 26, 2021

XXX (The Civics-Related Type)

Given how much we heard earlier this month about invoking the twenty-fifth amendment, I decided the time was right for my blog to return to an earlier civics-related theme. This post, and the two earlier ones from January 13 2014-2015 (links below), put us - i.e. me and any reader - in the company of George W. and those other dudes who aimed to create a more perfect union. Consider this your best shot at having a holiday in your honor or a bill with your visage. 

Because my 2014 & 2015 proposals for constitutional amendments XXVIII & XXIX already have bi-partisan support and both are poised to be passed soon, I'm clearly ready to begin work on XXX. But instead of my previous unilateral -  albeit undeniably brilliant - approach, this time I'm soliciting your input. 

My request: After marveling at my prescience when you re-read the two earlier posts, please ..

*Make suggestions to improve my versions of XXVIII and/or XXIX or..

* Propose a wholly new amendment, i.e. your own XXX.

I will then .. a.) consider your amendments to my unable-to-be-improved-upon amendments; and .. b.) compare your XXX to my own yet-to-be-developed XXX and steal anything you propose that is better than what I've begun considering. Such a deal.  

Reflections From The Bell Curve: XXVIII

Reflections From The Bell Curve: XXIX


2 comments:

  1. Before reading your previous blog posts, I thought to myself: "abolish the electoral college." So I am on the same page with you there. It no longer serves the purpose it was originally designed to do and means that a president can be elected without the popular vote as has happened many times in recent history. I also agree with term limits but think four terms is quite generous. I might make it three. I don't have any other ideas at the present time. In the recesses of my brain there is the idea that women's rights are still not totally guaranteed, but I could be wrong. Don't have the time to look this one up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ines; Thanks for comment. I'm not surprised to hear that abolishing the electoral college (XXVIII) was on your mind even before you re-read my 2014 post. As far as limiting congressional terms to three (your idea) vs. four (XXIX), although that has merit, I'm willing to give congress men and women a little more time if only because they often need to grow into their jobs a bit. Finally, your idea about revisiting the ERA - which never got the required 2/3 of States to ratify it - is, in my opinion, spot-on. I fully endorse that as XXX.

      Delete