About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Saturday, July 31, 2021

Marking The Seventh Decade

What stands out for you about the year 2009?

Matching the start of my seventh decade with this, my 2009th blog post, was never in doubt as I initiated this limited run series. Because, as years go, few in my life have been more memorable than 2009, my last full year working full time. If you're as fortunate as I and have been able to build the financial security that has allowed you to leave the world of full-time work - no matter what decade of your life it began - you'll understand. It's difficult to over-state how liberated I felt in 2009, with the knowledge that beginning March 2010, all my time would belong to me. 

I spent many leisure hours that year making lists. Books to read, new authors to try, old favorites to further explore. Songs to learn on guitar, music from my collection to get lost in, workshops to attend. More time with family & friends, more travel, more learning, more everything. Well-meaning people spoke of the challenges this passage often presented; I wasn't concerned as act three beckoned. As long as I added a modest home-improvement item to my list from time-to-time to ensure domestic peace, and barring any big curveballs life tossed at me, I was confident the years ahead of the one marking the start of my seventh decade were going to be great.  

Since 2009, my life has had some bumps; no surprise there. But today I feel more fortunate than I did back then. That's a nice place to be.  

6 comments:

  1. For the first time in this series, I have nothing momentous to report. I was still working - didn't retire until 2014. I can relate to your sense of anticipation of retirement and gratitude for being able to do so financially secure and healthy enough to engage in meaningful activities including travel. For me it happened five years later!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ines; Thanks for the comment even though you had nothing "momentous" to report.

      Delete
  2. Looking back at pictures from 2009 it was a year of spending time with family and friends...we visited friends in Portland as well as a family wedding in Amelia Island, family in PA, friends in Maine, a niece's graduation from college, a friend's 50th birthday, and lots more. I remember being a little jealous about your retirement but I didn't have time to think about it too much because I was busy working and we were also preparing to move to Brielle. I'm so grateful to have such a full and fulfilling life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim; All good memories from 2009 that you've reminded me of. And you are so right about our full and fulfilling life.

      Delete
  3. 2009 ... An interestingly quiet year for me. Both of my kids were now graduated from High School (2004 and 2008). My daughter would graduate from Stockton University with a double major and my son was away at college. Friends and family were all doing pretty well. And that's always a good thing.
    But there are two noteworthy events that happened that I believe are worth mentioning - each for their own reasons. 1). The swearing in of Barack Obama as the 45th President of the United States. The belief, the hope, that things would finally begin to change for the better ... At least there's hope again, now.
    Also, the infamous, and due to current circumstances, the topic has returned to, the H1N1 flu. At the time one of the most serious health issues we were facing. But thanks to a fairly quick response team that was in place, what could have been much worse was able to be evaded. If only what was learned at that time was put into place for COVID 19 ... What a difference that could have made.
    Be well, Pat
    See you soon,
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob; Thanks for the comment and a quick return to two news highlights from 2009. My wife happened to be in Chicago the January night that Obama was sworn in. As you can imagine, it was a jubilant night for that city.

      Delete