About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Saturday, October 22, 2022

#66: The Mt. Rushmore Series

Inspired by my stay at Ghost Ranch in New Mexico, this latest iteration in my longest-running series memorializes four brilliant casting choices for supporting roles in movie comedies. Think of four instances when you've said to yourself and others - "No one else could have possibly played that role." My Mt. Rushmore is listed alphabetically by actor. Order yours however you wish.

1.) Jackie Gleason as Sheriff Buford T. Justice in Smokey and the Bandit: Although this Burt Reynolds vehicle is no more than popcorn fare, Gleason is a perfect foil. Who else could have played this role and made you laugh as hard despite Burt's too-frequent winking at the camera?   

2.) Fred Gwynne as Judge Haller in My Cousin Vinny: I submit no film actor in history could have pulled off this performance as well as Fred Gwynne. His best line comes when Joe Pesci identifies Marisa Tomei as his fiancĂ© and Gwynne deadpans - "Well that would explain the hostility."

3.) Catherine O'Hara as Lydia in Beetlejuice: O'Hara is a gifted comic actor and invaluable member of Christopher Guest's repertory company. But her portrayal in this Tim Burton film stands as one of those times when it's near impossible to see another actor portraying the delusional Lydia.      

4.) Jack Palance as Curly in City Slickers: When I learned on my first day at Ghost Ranch that this Billy Crystal feature was filmed here, I tried to picture someone else playing Curly's role. No luck, although Clint Eastwood today might be able to match the gravitas Palance had back in 1991. 

Your turn to direct others to some classic comic performances that could not have been played by anyone other than the actor who did so.        

6 comments:

  1. Good morning, Pat. This one was a lot of fun. But I question 'Where do I begin?' But, after giving it some thought, and knowing full well that if I were to come back to this post in an hour, or 2 or more, my suggestions would undoubtedly change, I'm going with these:
    1. Philip Seymour Hoffman as Lester Bangs - Almost Famous
    2. John Malkovich as Teddy 'KGB' - Rounders
    3. Marlon Brando as Colonel Walter E. Kurtz - Apocalypse Now
    4. Heath Ledger as The Joker - Batman, The Dark Knight
    Honorable Mention - Leonardo DiCaprio as Arnie - What's Eating Gilbert Grape
    Be well,
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Bob; Thanks for the comment. Of the four portrayals you enshrined, I recall all but one, meaning I have to re-watch "Rounders" to see John Malkovich in the supporting role you cited. BTW, Malkovich is a personal favorite. As an aside, I wonder if you have four comic supporting roles you'd like to put on a Mt. Rushmore, given that was the thrust of this post?

      Delete
    2. OK - feeling foolish for missing the 'Comedic' part of your post. But lets try these to make up for it:
      1. J.K. Simmons - Roy in Palm Springs
      2. Mandy Patinkin - Inigo Montyoa in The Princess Bride
      3. Philip Seymour-Hoffman (again) - Sandy Lyle in Along Came Polly
      4. Madeline Kahn - Lili Von Shtupp in Blazing Saddles

      Delete
    3. Bob; No need for feeling "foolish", ever. As one of my most regular readers and commenters you are bound to miss a minor detail here and there in one of my blog posts. I pushed back here primarily because I was confident you would have a few comedic supporting parts up your sleeve, given you are my rival in movie geekiness. You didn't disappoint; the last three you mentioned are all performances I've enjoyed, although I'd forgotten about Hoffman's performance in "Along Came Polly" until you reminded me of it. And though I'm unfamiliar with the JK Simmons role you cited, he is one of my favorite actors - so versatile. So, as soon as I can manage it, I'm going to seek out the film you mentioned featuring him in a comedic role.

      Delete
  2. I vote for John Candy in Trains, Planes, and Automobiles. Frances McDormand in Fargo. Robert DeNiro in Meet the Fockers.

    ReplyDelete