About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Tuesday, October 25, 2022

Getting Out the Good Word

I've always been disinclined to express any of my political views via a bumper sticker out of concern that a malcontent with a differing view might be tempted to key my car. Worse - especially given the over-heated nature of today's political climate - it's not hard to imagine some lunatic directing their road rage at me because of a bumper sticker that challenges their worldview or offends them. 

For a similar reason, I've also avoided politically oriented lawn signs that an easily inflamed cretin might use as an excuse to deface or damage my home. Am I being mildly paranoid? Perhaps, but why take a chance that anyone I live with might be approached or menaced by a fanatic? Not worth it, no matter how aligned I am with the message.

Recently I've settled on a new strategy for being more public about my views = clothing. I know there are similar risks, i.e., there is nothing to prevent some neanderthal from confronting me or worst case, being hateful or verbally assaultive about something I'm wearing. But I've decided to take my chances and purchase a T-shirt I first saw months ago that proudly proclaims: Equal rights for all does not mean fewer rights for you. It's not pie. And I'm now on the lookout for additional attire (jackets, hats, sweatshirts, etc.) that could assist me in getting out the word. It's also possible that wearing stuff like this might lead me to connect with like-minded souls. Thinking of that possibility vs. focusing on any naysayers I could encounter is a more positive use of my mental energy. 

In the meanwhile, I'll leave it to others to continue using bumper stickers and lawn signs to get out the good word.    

4 comments:

  1. I like the sentiment on the T-shirt. In the email edition of the blog, it incorrectly has "less" but in the online version, it has the correct "fewer." How can that be? Are they using "Grammerly" only on one version of the post?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ines; Thanks for the comment and your sharp proofreading eye. When I first published the post, I used "less" but after quickly realizing my error (I must have heard you in my head!), I changed to "fewer". But even if I hadn't caught my own error, you're always on the job so it would have been right eventually anyway.

      Delete
  2. Good afternoon, Pat. First off - I love the shirt. It's perfect for a few reasons. Obviously the saying on it. Next, in such a chaotic and, what can only be called, violent political atmosphere it states a strong point with what should hopefully not offend too many. It is unfortunate that the current climate - one that has been around for about he past 6 years or so - it can be somewhat dangerous to make a point. I'm going to be looking for that one. And I'll let you know if I'm able to find other worthwhile attire.
    Be well,
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob; Do let me know if you indeed find other attire with a similar message to this t-shirt.

      Delete