About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Monday, December 5, 2022

Theresa & Terrence, etc.

How many of you ever considered that avoiding certain first names when choosing a potential romantic partner could be prudent? Love being what it is, I'm not suggesting anyone be so calculating, superficial, or cold that they would reject or select a potential partner solely based on that person's first name. Still, doesn't it seem as though certain combinations of names could be potentially confusing to others?  

Let's start with the least potentially confusing combination. That would be partners whose first names begin with the same letter. I myself have two nieces as well as a few friends from this first group, by far the most common of the three I outline. I don't recall ever being confused nor have I ever heard anyone else say they were, although stale jokes about M&M's in my family are pretty frequent. Still, doesn't it seem plausible that partners named JoAnne & John (or JoAnne & Josephine), Lois & Leo (or Leo & Liam), or Maureen & Matthew (or ... oh, you get the idea), could confuse the easily confused among us? No? OK, then how about combination #2?

In this second potentially confusing combination, I put two types, using straight couples' names only to make the point. In type #1 would be Don & Donna, Eric & Erica, or Paul & Paula. Come on, you can't tell me there is no potential for confusion there. Type #2 in this combination is more subtle, i.e., requires more thought as you are falling in love, but see if you don't agree. Just pretend my partner's name was Patricia. See where I'm going? That's right = Pat & Pat. Same thing for Christian & Christine, Gerald & Geraldine, or Martin & Martha. Still not convinced that avoiding certain first names could be prudent when choosing a romantic partner?

Any reader named Lee or Robin out there? I submit the potential for confusion rises exponentially for the androgynously named among us. I suspect some of you have known men and women with both of those names. If the Lees and Robins decide to ignore being prudent and choose partners named Lee or Robin - man or woman - they surely would be wise to prepare themselves for ... a.) confusing the easily confused; b.) enduring an endless onslaught of tired jokes, including a few insensitive ones with a homophobic bent. Don't say you weren't warned.   

8 comments:

  1. I know a Pat and Patsy - Jim R

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jim; That combination qualifies. Bet those two have heard a few comments over the years.

      Delete
    2. I used to work with a Sam and his wife was Pam. I also knew of a Mickey and Nikki and a Aaron and Karen.

      Delete
    3. Chris; Are you making this up? If not, this is great stuff. And, had I thought of the rhyming bit before I'd conceptualized my post, it's possible I would have included it. In the meanwhile, aren't you glad you didn't fall in love with a Christine?

      Delete
    4. I am not making this up. I had a friend named Michael and he was dating a girl named Nicole, so we called them Mickey and Nikki. It was more fun calling them that way! We also had a neighbor at our last house and their names were Paul and Paula. As for Christine, that is my sister-in-law.

      Delete
    5. Chris; Even better that you made up the "Mickey & Nikki" bit! And how cool that you had neighbors (Paul & Paula) with identical names to the ones I cited in my post. Can't make this stuff up.

      Delete
  2. Good afternoon, Pat. Hope you're all doing well. I enjoyed reading this post and, honestly, didn't have an example to use in a comment - I mean Robert and Rose is close, but I always use Bob so ... But, then just this week my nephew Daniel moved into an apartment with his girlfriend, Danielle. Talk about timing. Although I don't believe they are readers of your Blog. Go figure.
    Be well,
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob; As "Robert" (vs. Bob) and Rose, you indeed fall solidly into group one, which is, as said, the most common and least confusing of my three groups. Daniel & Danielle, on the other hand, is a perfect example of group two, type #1. And even though they are not readers of my blog, if you think your nephew has a good sense of humor, you could forward this post to them. If you think he (or his girlfriend) would not be amused, forget it. Thanks for the comment.
      (or his girlfriend) would not be amused, forget it. Thanks for the comment.

      Delete