About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Tuesday, January 31, 2023

Setting a High Bar

One of the highlights of 2022 was a full-scale return to seeing live music. I didn't fully appreciate how much I'd missed that element in my life until I recently reflected on a few moments of musical magic from the past year. Those moments included seeing John Scofield at the Blue Note, Glen Hansard in Washington DC, and the amazing Django-influenced guitarist Stephane Wrembel at a free concert in Red Bank. What memorable shows did you see in 2022? 

And now Branford Marsalis so thoroughly transported me earlier this month I'm having trouble imagining I'll see a better show over the remaining eleven months of 2023. For almost two hours, Marsalis and the piano trio supporting him played at a nearly super-human intensity. Mixing originals with material by Duke, Monk, & Irving Berlin - interspersed with a few nods to traditional New Orleans jazz - these four exemplary musicians personified what it means to be at the top of your game. Their interplay, creativity, and fire never let up. In addition, because I was seated near the front, it was easy to see how much fun all four of them were having as each prodded the other to take another leap into the musical unknown. It was exhilarating to be close to excellence of this caliber. 

What shows are you looking forward to in 2023? In my case, I'm a little worried Branford and his band set the bar so high that disappointment could be difficult to avoid. I desperately hope I'm wrong; seeing live music is too important to me.     

3 comments:

  1. Glen Hansard was awesome ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good afternoon, Pat. I, too, was very happy to be able to start getting out again this past year and look forward to continuing that trend. in 2022 we were lucky to be able to finally see Ringo in concert. That show had been canceled for the 2 prior years due to the pandemic, so it was great to finally see him. And I have to admit it was really cool to be in the same building as Ringo. We also were able to see Kelli O'Hara and Audra McDonald in concert and A Christmas Carol - all at the McCarter Theater in Princeton. We also saw a couple of Hockey games as well as being able to, comfortably, get together with friends for lunch/dinner for overdue retirement celebrations. And we got to see the 'incomparable' Eddie Izzard in a one person show in The City. They performed a one person performance of 'Great Expectations' at the Greenwich House Theater - a small venue - on Barrow Street in lower Manhattan. They are such a great talent. So far for 2023 we have plans for more theater in both NY and NJ and hopefully some concerts. We still take precautions, and I'm on my 5th Covid vaccine, but it is good to be getting out and about again.
    Be well,
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob; Thanks for two comments in one day. Sounds like you got a good start in 2022 at re-entry into the world of live music. Hope 2023 is even better for you. I know it will be for me because even if I end up seeing only the Marsalis show, I'll be satisfied with my whole 2023. The Marsalis show was THAT good.

      Delete