About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Sunday, January 1, 2023

Stop - Start - Continue: 2023

As has been the case since the inception of this series in 2012, this yearly exercise is more enjoyable when some of you share with me and others one thing you plan to stop, start, or continue as the new year kicks off. It needn't be all three; in at least one of the past ten years, I've skipped (or fudged) one of the three pledges. This year both my start and continue involve my physical state. This could be connected to an unrealistic wish to live forever. But what's the harm in indulging some harmless fantasizing to accompany my pledges? 

In 2023, I will stop dwelling on how long it takes each day to get started on any of my daily disciplines. Instead of being preoccupied about what time I begin reading, practicing my guitar, exercising, or writing, when I find myself over-thinking it, I'll take the time to re-center myself via meditation. 

In 2023, I will start paying more attention to my intake of carbohydrates, especially empty ones. 

In 2023, I will continue the exercise regimen I implemented at the start of 2022. Getting in four days a week consistently this past year contributed to my sense of well-being and also helped improve my score in the annual health assessment for my insurance that I complete in December each year. 

Let's get this party started!   

   

2 comments:

  1. Good afternoon, Pat. As I believe I mentioned last year (or was it the year before?) I like the 'Stop, Start, Continue' method rather than the tried and failed 'resolutions' method. For me, kind of the same thoughts for 2023 as with 2022 - and probably before that. Although I have made progress, I do wish to/plan to continue and make further progress. This will include:
    Stop - Stop thinking as much about what to read and what to practice and just do it. (apologies to Nike). I find if I am able to do this it will result in more time for these interests as well as whatever physical activities I'm up to.
    Start - Can't help but say that this must follow what I am stopping. I have a tendency to overthink which then results in lost time and lost motivation. So I will Start to 'Do'.
    Continue - as with what you have said, I will continue with my exercising. I started better after I initially retired 4 years ago but drifted away from it. And that is too easy to do. So I will continue with what I started (again) in 2022 in 2023.

    I like the party sprit !!
    Be well,
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob; Thanks for multiple comments in one day (again and again). I'm glad this stop-start-continue model works for you. I learned about it in my graduate work in adult ed and it has always struck me as a practical and easy-to-remember model to use to help keep a focus. And even though your "stop" and your "start" are connected, that's OK. "Doubling up" like that might increase your likelihood of success.

      Delete