About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Wednesday, January 4, 2023

Grateful for the Mundane

 It recently occurred to me how grateful I am my dreams are innocuous.

Having been spared major trauma in my life, my dreams are the usual stuff - flying, being in a public place without clothes, getting back at someone who has hurt me, etc. And I have at least one recurring dream where I miss my final exams and consequently never receive my undergraduate degree. All mundane stuff, thank goodness.

Though I've never known anyone who recalls being abandoned as a child, like most people, I have known others who were abused as children. I've also known people who have never shaken off the stress of combat and women who have escaped violent marriages. Obviously, there are traumas worse than childhood abuse, combat PTSD, and domestic violence. But just limiting my imagination to the kind of dreams that could be engendered by those things stops me cold. I'm incapable of imagining the actual experiences, deepening my gratitude for my fortunate life.

4 comments:

  1. Good afternoon, Pat. There are times - sometimes more often than not - when I do long for the greater excitement I had when I was younger. But then I realize that that was then. A different time, different people and places, different experiences. And what is now may be different, but it is good, and fun, and fulfilling. Although not all of the time, it doesn't need to be. I've come to realize that the different, or various, phases of a life doesn't make the others less or more. It's the sum of the parts that make a great, or even a mundane, life. And that's what counts.
    Be well,
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob; Thanks again for your continuing support of my blog. Means more to me than you can know.

      Delete