About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Tuesday, May 7, 2024

The Instructor Did What?

Reflections From The Bell Curve: Dangling Conversations with Music Lovers

Tomorrow concludes the reprise of a six-hour Paul Simon class I first delivered eight years ago. Of the twenty-three people who signed up for the class, sixteen have taken a previous class of mine, either at the same college or elsewhere. 

Among the things I'm most grateful for is the unbridled enthusiasm this community of repeat students brings to every one of my classes. On more than a few occasions, their enthusiasm - combined with my inexhaustible passion for music - has helped unleash classroom antics that take me by surprise. Although I rarely regret appearing to be semi-possessed in those moments, I do sometimes wonder later what the newer students think about my manic intensity. 

For example, while playing the concluding song in last week's session, I discovered how effortlessly the swivel chair at the front of the classroom moved. With lots of space, my music-loving community all around, and the kinetic horn parts in You Can Call Me Al inspiring me, I was soon spinning around that room like a deranged Fred Astaire, the chair acting as Ginger Rogers, without high-heels. It wasn't until the drive home that I began imagining conversations newer students might have with others if they ever tried to recreate what they'd just seen. The instructor did what?  

10 comments:

  1. HMMM. Can't wait to see the comments on this one! But those of us who know and love you would not expect anything less.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning, Pat. I’m going to make a one time change from my usual 3-4 comments at a time and just offer this to today’s blog post. And only because I have to get ready to go to a class 😁
    The Instructor Did What? He showed enthusiasm for a subject. He did what those of us who have taken classes with him before have come to enjoy and expect. And he did what keeps us coming back. I’ve been very grateful, over the years, to have had professors, instructors, etc, who have the passion to teach. It’s one thing to know the subject. It’s a completely different thing to be able to engage with those you’re sharing your knowledge. And you are definitely one of those instructors. You enjoy what you do, Pat. And it shows!! And it’s great!! I only wish the classes were able to be longer …
    Be well,
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the way … loved the chair routine 😂

      Delete
    2. Bob; Thanks for the super-supportive comment about my classes AND for breaking your routine. If you liked the "chair routine", maybe I'm off the hook this time.

      Delete
  3. Was it anything like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXF2D9HrUa8

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL! Thanks for the laugh. Your enthusiasm is infectious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your zest for life inspires others to be their weird selves too. Love this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous; Glad to know I help bring out the "weirdness" in others. It's a legacy of sorts, I suppose.

      Delete