About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Tuesday, August 13, 2024

Hypocritical Ambivalence

 ambivalence: the coexistence of positive and negative feelings toward the same person, object, or action.

That dictionary definition of ambivalence perfectly describes my everyday attitude about how most of us - willingly or not - have become insidiously tethered to technology. My positive-negative toggling about this modern-day blessing/curse frequently gives me whiplash. To wit:

* I'm a blogger who lusts after readers. But ... I stubbornly resist using my cell phone for anything but the most basic tasks. I also resist giving out my always-asked-for e-mail. Unless, that is, you want the URL for my blog.   

* I cherish the efficiency of bar codes at supermarkets and the ability to communicate with multiple people using a group e-mail and online resources that make research easier. But ... I'm easily triggered by the use of cell phones within nanoseconds to retrieve a factoid - before anyone has a chance to exercise their memory or otherwise use their brain - and indiscriminate dependence on any social media for commentary/punditry, and unquestioning belief in the "truth" of anything found online, e.g. Wikipedia.

* I like having a watch that tracks my steps, and GPS to help me avoid the directionally-challenged who roam among us (although I reserve the right to say it's advisable all of us should know north from south and east from west), and lots of choices of easy-to-access music and other entertainment content. But ... I really don't like the intrusive, ubiquitous beeping/buzzing/purring/meowing of watches, or automobile instrument panels, or everything, or so it seems. Quiet moments, revealing conversations, even intimate encounters are constantly at risk of being invaded by some infuriating sound or worse, a snippet of song.  

I considered using my oldest series - Words That Can Haunt Me - as a way to frame my ambivalence about today's kowtowing to technology. But in the end, it's not the word ambivalence that haunts me. It's my own surrender to select pieces of the technology that prompted today's reflection. At its base, I guess it's my hypocrisy that haunts me.


2 comments:

  1. Hey Pat. I have to say that I do agree with most of what you have written in this post. However, and as I have commented previously on other posts, I can be something of a 'geek' when it comes to technology. I find myself looking for the latest software updates to my iMac, iPhone, iPad, Fitbit, etc (geek) and will try new things when they come out - within reason as it has also become quite costly. But I freely admit that there is a part of me - sometimes strong sometimes not so much - that does allow myself to think back to when there was less technology, or any all, in my everyday life. Was it more or less fun, easier or more difficult ? Each day may bring a different response to that question.
    Be well,
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob; Thanks for the comment. I agree that each day has the potential to bring a different response. But for this non-geek, the frustrations often supersede the pleasure.

      Delete