About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Saturday, August 31, 2024

The Magic in Words

"Not all those who wander are lost." - J.R.R. Tolkien

When did you most recently allow yourself to wander? What did you discover when you did so? What prevents us from wandering more frequently? 

Like most people, I'm a creature of habit. I practice my guitar a certain way, I do similar exercise routines, I often read in the morning. But months ago - after hearing Tolkien's words cited by a composer I admire as he described his process - something shifted in me. I decided on the spot to begin integrating a small dose of wandering whenever I picked up my guitar. How could doing so possibly hurt?  

After several weeks, a small but noticeable effect took hold. Some of my improvisational ideas began to feel less predictable to me. Though I'm sure no one but me would notice the difference, something definitely opened up as I allowed myself to wander more in the musical unknown. Fresh songwriting concepts soon presented themselves. It's been magical and thrilling.

This morning, more magic. I decided it was time to share here what I've discovered about wandering and the connection to that composer's use of Tolkien's words. As I began typing, I mistakenly inserted the word wonder into the Tolkien quote. Isn't it intriguing how the words wander and wonder share five letters? I can't recall ever taking note before of the magical connection between those two words. Have you? 

6 comments:

  1. I love this post, and am so glad you are allowing yourself the freedom of wandering/wondering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too love this post. There are two practices I learned from Nia that are akin to this. One is called Free Dance where you just move in the moment - no choreography - no preconceived notions. The other is an intentional practice to break habits. If there is a 50:50 chance of something happening, let's say for example a red light, in the one instance where it is green, you keep going straight and in the other where it is red, you make a turn. Or vice-versa. It could be something as simple as how you drink your coffee in the am. Pretty interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ines; Thanks for the comment, nice words about the post, and the education about "free dance" which is indeed akin to what I'm referring to here about my wandering in music.

      Delete
  3. Hey Pat. Another wonderful post. And since I'm reading each one again while preparing my comments, I also get to read other comments as well. For me, being a creature of habit has been almost a lifelong endeavor. There are things that I have done for so many years that I no longer remember their origins. I just know that I continue to do them in one way or another. While I will, and have, try to do things a little differently from time to time, there are some that have been with me for so long I'm not sure I would know how not to do them or how I would feel if I did stop. I have both wandered and wondered. And after the thoughts that have come to mind, I may have to pay a little more attention to what it is I'm doing when it is that I'm doing it. Maybe that will allow for some freer thinking. I know I'll keep most of my habits. But allowing myself to break the mold every now and again couldn't hurt, right?
    Be well,
    Bob



    ReplyDelete
  4. Wandering/Wondering Bob; Habits themselves can be useful and efficient. But in my experience, they can also be confining and stifle creativity. I work consciously at breaking habits just to see what opens up in me when I do so. Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete