About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Friday, August 23, 2024

Here I Go Again

What did this camper/student take away from a week spent with eighty-nine other guitarists, not including the faculty?

* From his fellow students, he re-learned that the people he gravitates toward are those who are genuinely good listeners in a non-musical context, e.g., sharing a meal. Since good listening is a critical skill for any musician, it follows that some of those same people are the ones this student wanted as jamming partners, technical skill aside.

* From the faculty, he re-learned that kindness - in demeanor, in language, in delivering critical feedback - trumps all. How well someone plays, how many famous people someone has played with, how much praise is heaped on someone by their talented peers, matters far less to this student than if that someone appears to be a kind human being.    

I need more time to fully process what I learned about guitar and what I learned about my playing this past week. Periodically reviewing my notes will help me with those things. But what I learned about myself as a person this past week is how much work I have to do. Not terribly profound or unique but clearly true. Fortunately, every day I'm alive gives me time to practice, both my guitar as well as all the other stuff. Here I go again.  

6 comments:

  1. For me playing guitar is an action, I must do it more and think about what others think or how much better they are than I, less. You are a very talented musician and have great musical ideas. Let it flow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Anonymous"; Thanks for the comment and gracious words about my playing. Your continued encouragement will surely assist me in "...letting it flow".

      Delete
  2. Hey Pat. Following up on my comments to you 'Third Swing' post I remain encouraged. Learning about ones-self is an ongoing process that, thankfully or not, usually brings new things to learn as new things and/or events happen. All in all I have a very strong feeling that the experience as a whole was rewarding. And your last two sentences sum it up very well ... 'Fortunately, every day I'm alive gives me time to practice, both my guitar as well as all the other stuff. Here I go again. '
    That works ,...
    Be well,
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob; Thanks for the comment. For an egotist like me having my own words quoted back to me is like catnip.

      Delete
  3. What I appreciate the most about this post (and many others), is your desire to continually evolve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ines; Thanks for two comments in one day and, in this case, the nice feedback.

      Delete