About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Wednesday, August 7, 2024

Taking a Third Swing

By the time I got around to attending my first weeklong guitar camp in 2001, I was fifty-one years old. The numerous advertisements I'd seen for these camps in Guitar Player had enticed me through the previous twenty+ years I'd spent studying jazz guitar.  During those years, I frequently wondered how long I'd postpone this experience that was on my list of goals. After all, before I began studying at thirty, I'd spent the previous ten+ years making a living playing guitar to accompany my singing. What would it take for me to finally take this plunge? Aside from remembering how inadequate I felt that week in 2001, all that remains with me now is my mantra when I got home - "never again".  


In 2016, a good friend and jamming partner talked me into taking a second shot, an experience I wrote of in the post above.  At that point, I was five years into my project to memorize 300 jazz standards, started soon after leaving the world of full-time work. I guess I felt ready for the challenge. Although my sophomore effort ended up being a marginally better experience than my maiden voyage in 2001, I still returned home discouraged. I had some good moments jamming with my friend in the cabin we shared but - surrounded by guitarists who intimidated me - I barely played in the classroom settings and skipped performing at the student concert held on the final night. Though I don't recall saying "never again" again, I probably thought it.   

And yet, later this month, I'm taking a third swing. I cannot identify the logic for me doing so. It's been eight years since my last guitar camp experience but wait. Read that again. Camp? At seventy-four? With or without a guitar, how do I make this sound less weird? More important, how do I ensure I don't return this year either saying or thinking "never again"? 

4 comments:

  1. Hey Pat. I have to say that I find this post slightly depressing but also very encouraging. Having heard you play guitar I admit to some curiosity as to the levels of the other guitarists at these Guitar Camps. My limiting playing would never get me to the front gate of these places, much less anywhere near a stage. However I would have to think, again without knowing the levels of those that attend, that you would be able to hold your own when it comes to playing. But, it is encouraging to hear that you're taking a third swing. Third times the charm, right? And it's camp. Have fun ... Enjoy. And remember, there are no wrong notes. Only notes you didn't intend to play. Now who was it that said that ? lol
    Be well,
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Bob; Thanks for the kind words about my playing. As far as "holding my own" with these other great players, I'm hoping my third camp experience will indeed be "...the charm...". Stay tuned.

      Delete
  2. A thought: perhaps while at camp, commit 100% to having a 'student' mindset -- while there you are not a performer, not an experienced, talented musician, not a guitar teacher, not even a 'this is my third time' attendee (all these involve Ego). If you arrive at the camp as a student with an open mind & heart -- welcoming and appreciating any/all advice, tips, ideas, challenges -- you might feel FREE. "Hey I'm just a student here" (no pressure on yourself). Here is one of my favorite quotes "You’ll Worry Less About What People Think of You When You Realize How Seldom They Do." HAVE A GREAT TIME AT CAMP, GRASSHOPPER!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous; Thanks for your insightful comment, most especially the observation about ego. I also love the quote you cited. Here's hoping I'm able to keep your thought/suggestion in my head, for at least part of the time, anyway.

      Delete