About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Thursday, August 10, 2023

PSA for Serious Readers

As I was introducing folks to each other at the most recent meeting of the book club I established in 2017, something dawned on me. Of the nine people aside from myself who came to discuss Rocket Boys that night, five of them were folks I'd previously met in three different book clubs. It would be hard to over-state how much my life has been enriched by the people I've met since joining my first club in 2010. 

Even clubs I belonged to briefly between 2010-2017 yielded benefits that outweighed their demerits. And though I didn't realize it over those years, what I was continually doing during my tenure in each of those clubs - winners and duds - was gathering best practices. That clearly ended up helping me shape my own club into something special. Four of the six charter members of my club are folks I met in three earlier clubs I'd belonged to, including the moderator of the first club I joined in 2010 and remained active in for over two years. The other two charter members of my club are my wife and me. Sweet.

Before entering the post full-time work world in early 2010 , I made a list (surprise!) of some new things I wanted to try. From that list, joining my first book club is the thing that's proven to have had the most far reaching impact. I would strongly encourage any serious reader give consideration to getting involved in a book club or clubs. Keep searching until you find one - or more - that meets your needs. If you persist, you'll be rewarded by finding people who you'll want to keep in your life.   

      

5 comments:

  1. Sweet! Like you, I decided book clubs would be part of my post-work life in 2014. I formed one with a friend that is still going and joined the library one where I met you. I now belong to four book clubs, each one different, and have found many people I want to keep in my life:)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ines; Thanks for your comment and faithful patronage of my blog. You were among the people on my mind while I was writing this particular post.

      Delete
  2. Pat,
    Again, thank you very much for the 'one-off' invite to your recent book club meeting. It has been quite a number of years since I've had the opportunity to attend any book club sessions and attending yours sort of got the juices flowing again. I've inquired at the local library and am waiting to hear back regarding some of the clubs that they are a part of. If I lived closer to your area I'm sure I would find a way to finagle my way to further sessions (lol).
    Be well,
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob; You are so welcome; was goof having you there for the discussion. I'm especially glad if attending our meeting has inspired you to consider getting involved in a club close to home. I know you will not regret it, once you find the right one.

      Delete