About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Saturday, August 19, 2023

Call Me Scab; Not!

Call me a crank - or something worse - but if you were going to invent a stage name for yourself, wouldn't you come up with something better than Flea

I mean no disrespect to this fine bass player from the Red Hot Chili Peppers. And actually, until I was recently reminded of his stage moniker as the film credits rolled at the end of Babylon, this crabby thought had never crossed my mind. Then, I considered Archibald Alec Leach becoming Cary Grant

I know Grant had help making up a stage name. Still, even if suave Archibald/Cary had made up his own, somehow I doubt he would have settled on Turd or Scar or Snot - bass player in a semi-punk band or not - don't you? Seems to me there's a tiered system when it comes to invented names. See if you agree.

Let's start with classy, like say, Cary Grant. Who else would you put in the highest tier? A step down we get to semi-cool or just OK, like say, Sting. Although I've always been tempted to give Sting either the first initial "B" or the last name "Ray", to me, his alias is still a clear step up from the goofy/silly Edge. Again, a fine musician and probably nice enough guy, but how can anyone resist giving him either a first name like "Cliff" or a middle and last name like "Of Tomorrow"? Who are your nominations for stage names in tiers two and three? Or, would you place Sting and Edge - with or without the "the" - in the same tier? 

Either way, unquestionably, in the bottom tier goes Flea. Got any others you'd lump in with him?      

2 comments:

  1. Good afternoon, again, Pat. I loved this post. Some of the names you see today are pretty wild but, when compared to the past, I guess everyone is entitled. And there are so many that have changed their name to a 'professional' one. However, of all that there are there is one that has always stood out to me. And, if you have the time you must (MUST) watch a special that was done a number of ears ago by a wonderful comedian - Eddie Izzard. The special was called 'Dressed To Kill' and I'm sure you can find it on Netflix, Prime, or maybe the DVD through your library. Anyway, as I digress as usual, in the special there is a take on how people came up with the name 'Englebert Humperdink". Well worth the watch.
    Be well,
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob; Glad this post spoke to you, however weird/crabby it is. I plan to check out that Eddie Izzard piece you mention here, especially if he de-constructs Englebert. BTW, that moniker goes in the bottom tier with Flea as far as I'm concerned.

      Delete