About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Tuesday, August 22, 2023

Sixty + Years of Evangelism

Could it be that I'll never run out of ways to evangelize about music? What passion of yours infects you enough that you can't imagine a time when you won't want to convert others?  

I've talked about it - to anyone who would listen - since the drum break in He's So Fine set me on fire in 1962. I've continually performed - many times horrendously, especially early on, i.e., a kind of perverse evangelism, I suppose - since 1963. I've made mix tapes since, well since people first started making mix tapes back when cassettes were the rage. And then I switched to making CD mixes and have done that - sometimes without being asked - ever since. I've taught privately for over thirty-five years. I've blogged about music here on the bell curve since 2010. (Rough estimate: 250 posts.) I've taught continuing education classes at local colleges - and elsewhere - since 2014. 

My latest evangelism began when a fellow hiker innocently asked me if I would recommend some jazz tunes to help ease him into that world. Poor guy - he had no idea what a mistake it was making this simple request of me. We are now about thirty songs - at three songs per week - into my most recent evangelistic endeavor. I'm confident saying this unsuspecting "student" is likely wishing he'd never had a conversation with the man he is now calling "professor". I can't help myself. (Wait, do I hear Levi Stubbs wailing?)

See what I mean?    

6 comments:

  1. This made me smile and then laugh out loud. I can just see it. Good writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ines; The fact that an occasional post of mine brings some joy to you is gratifying to me. Thanks for telling me and double thanks for your unwavering support of my blog.

      Delete
  2. As you have said in the past, "There is no such thing as background music". I wholeheartedly agree with that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris; For an egotist like me, having my words quoted back to me is like crack. Thanks for the comment, fellow music geek.

      Delete
  3. Good morning, Pat. I hope you are all doing well. Been a while ..
    I actually found myself chuckling a bit at this post. And while I cannot say that I would be going a don about music as well as you have, or could, if it is a subject I am fond of .. stand back. For example, and one of maybe two examples, once I get started about theater .. as someone recently said ..'I can't help myself' ...
    Be well,
    Bob


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob; Just noticed I never acknowledged this comment from you. Or ... perhaps I did and it got lost in cyber-space; wouldn't be the first time that happened nor would it be the first time blogger/blogspot did something glitchy. Anyway, thanks for comment, although I doubt you'll notice I responded these few months later.

      Delete