About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Wednesday, September 13, 2023

318 and Counting

https://reflectionsfromthebellcurve.blogspot.com/2011/11/goal-for-year-62.html

In November 2011, I launched a mission to fully memorize 300 jazz standards by December of the next year, declaring it in the post above. In the end, it took me close to eight years to complete my mission, as memorialized in the post below from August, 2019. 

https://reflectionsfromthebellcurve.blogspot.com/2019/08/seven-years-nine-months-three-hundred.html

Early on, it became clear how wildly over-ambitious my initial mission was as I learned how these songs needed consistent review over a short duration in order for each to really lodge in my brain until the next review. Sometime late in 2014, I scuttled the haphazard review process I'd been using to that point and developed one that ensured each tune got played end-to-end regularly in every review cycle. 

Nine years on, I'll begin review cycle #100 later this week, marking another milestone in this project that is now almost twelve years old. Thanks to the more structured review process, I've now got 318 songs lodged in my brain. I've memorized at least seven tunes by eleven different composers. Richard Rodgers leads the pack with twenty-one tunes and Duke is close on his heels with twenty. Every one of the 318 feels like an old friend. I'm pleased and proud I've persisted; my playing has never felt better to me. Thanks to those of you who have checked in with me about it since the mission began in late 2011.     

6 comments:

  1. One of my Nia Trainers said: "What gets measured can change." That may not entirely be where you are going with your mission, but it reminds me of this. When I first started teaching Nia, I kept count of the number of routines I had learned and could teach. I stopped at 30 because it was no longer important how many I "had under my belt." Now I just set a goal of learning a new routine by a certain date so I can teach it. I guess whatever motivates us to keep learning and growing is good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ines; Although I've heard that expression as "What gets measured gets done", the two are closely related. In the end, as I've alluded to here before, for better or worse, I'm driven to tracking my progress (or lack of) in most of my learning pursuits. And as your bottom line aptly says "...whatever motivates us .. is good." Thanks again for the support of my blog and your comments; I always look forward to hearing them.

      Delete
  2. Hello, Pat .. This may be a record for comments in a single day . . Not sure.
    Anyway, I am in awe of the number of songs you have memorized. Memorization, at least for me, has not always been easy. I've been cast in plays where I've had many lines and, as much as I do love theater, it can be difficult. Despite trying various means, I tend to revert back to the old standard - Read, repeat, read, repeat - line by line, adding to each sentence, paragraph and page until I have it down. And even then, when I am 'off-book', I will continue to keep my script nearby, constantly reviewing, reading, and making sure. It's become a habit over the years and one that has made it more comfortable for me. And, more and more, I find that the satisfaction I feel when I accomplish this task makes the effort worth it.
    Continued good luck with your memorization.
    Be well,
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob; If it's not a record day for your comments, it's a tie for one. And I sincerely thank you for that. This multi-year project has clearly been good for my brain and for that I'm grateful. Please accept my most gracious thanks for the support you have shown for my blog for the past several years.

      Delete
  3. So proud of you, dad! Inspiring us to hold ourselves to a higher standard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alison; Thanks for the words of support and encouragement.

      Delete