About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Wednesday, September 27, 2023

In October Alone

Before leaving the full-time work world, rich discussions about books didn't happen that frequently for me. In those days, when my wife and I overlapped reading something - not a regular occurrence - or the same thing happened with one of my sisters, which occurred even less often, I yearned to discuss whichever book was fresh in our minds. But as good as those discussions were, returning to a couple each year is now unimaginable to me. 

For example, just anticipating the discussion of The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay (2000) that is on my calendar for next week has me purring. Michael Chabon's prizewinning, sprawling novel of ideas begs to be discussed. I'm grateful my wife asked me to join the conversation with two of her friends. 

About a week later, my wife and I are meeting up in West Virginia with fourteen folks we've traveled with since 2015. This group chose Rocket Boys (1998) to discuss one evening during our seventh reunion. Fitting, given Homer Hickam's moving memoir takes place in almost heaven. Then later in October, a reading soulmate and I who have been meeting monthly since 2015 are tackling The Last Train to Los Verde, Paul Theroux's moving travelogue from 2013 about his final visit to Africa.  

What upcoming book discussions are on your calendar?  


2 comments:

  1. I just heard the MET has commissioned an opera based on “The Amazing Adventures of Cavalier and Clay.” Great book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous; Thanks for the comment, especially the heads-up about Chabon's novel being commissioned by the MET. I'll be sure to pay attention as that situation evolves.

      Delete