About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Tuesday, September 19, 2023

Examining the Educational Disconnect

What percentage of the college-educated people you've known have actually made their living in a field closely related to their undergraduate degree? If you have a degree, how many of your subsequent full- time jobs have been directly connected to the education you received? Most of them? A few of them? None of them?

From graduation day in 1971 through 2010 - the year I left the full-time work world - more than half of my forty working years were spent far removed from the world of education. Only two months over all those years were spent teaching elementary school, my major in college. In my experience, my work history is more the rule than the exception. How does my experience line up or differ from yours? For every person I've known who has made their living doing work directly connected to their degree, I would estimate I've known two others whose work life took them far afield from that degree, either early on or in later years. And without trying real hard, I can think of several people who never made a dollar - let alone a living - in any type of job for which their degree was ostensibly preparing them. How many people have you known who fit that description?  

Although the elementary piece of my undergraduate degree in education got almost no professional use, the foundation that degree provided has been invaluable in many domains of my life. I'm guessing in that respect I'm like many of you who share a work history similar to mine, i.e., one not necessarily closely linked to our undergraduate studies. Wouldn't you agree the benefits of any college education will always mitigate the disconnect between that education and what's useful in a subsequent work life? 


6 comments:

  1. I think your premise is true for our generation. I don't know about other generations. My husband and many friends have similar histories to yours. In my case, most of my work life was closely aligned with my undergraduate degree in Biology and a Masters in Pharmacology. Regardless, the foundational aspects of a liberal arts education has been important in my life: learning to think critically, appreciation for the arts, developing writing skills, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ines; If you are correct about my premise applying to us baby boomers, then I suspect it's largely true for the work generations that have followed. However, your comment did get me thinking about the generation that preceded us. My guess? Because that cohort had far fewer college-educated people - with many of them coming of age during the Great Depression - it would be more difficult to test my premise with that group. In addition, the "Greatest Generation" (per Tom Brokaw), were a great deal less fickle than us baby boomers so their "job-hopping" - even among the college-educated sub-group - was far less prevalent. Thanks for your comment. As you can see, it set me to musing even more. So, maybe I shouldn't be thanking you. Ha!

      Delete
  2. I am torn on this, I wonder if continuing education courses would be better suited to more people, combined with a "learning on the job" approach. Unless the higher education system becomes more financially feasible, pursuing a degree unrelated to a future career seems fruitless in many ways. Then again, perhaps the degree itself is the decision making factor for some people, to pursue another avenue post-grad?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous; Thanks for the well-considered comment, especially for pointing out how the prohibitively high cost of a higher education makes this particular disconnect more vexing.

      Delete
  3. Hello, Pat. I can say that I know two people that have done exactly what they planned to do - and each went to school for their respective career. My brother-in-law is a fantastic musician and was able to attend the Chicago Conservatory to further his dreams. While there are physical limitations that are now preventing him from playing as much as I know he wants to, he did accomplish his dream. The other is my daughter. From an early age she (we) knew she would be working with children. She showed a love for this in elementary school and continued on to obtain dual degrees in Elementary Education and Child Psychology and is now in her 19th year teaching. Isn't there a saying that says 'if you do something that you love you'll never 'work' a day in your life?' I enjoyed the work I did, and have been told that I was very good at it, but it was never my plan or goal to have the career I had. But for these two --- Good for them.
    Be well,
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, I think most people find their careers guided more by their employment than by their college major. In my case, I knew what I wanted to do and went to school for horticulture. After a career in the medical/pharma industry, I am finally able to put my horticulture degree to use in the volunteer work I'm doing with native plants.

    ReplyDelete