About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Saturday, September 2, 2023

Buzzing at Seventy-Four (and beyond)

"I hope I die before I get old."

Do you suppose Pete Townsend is relieved his lyric wasn't prophetic? Based on all the good music he's produced since writing My Generation almost sixty years ago, I'm guessing Mr. Townsend is as grateful as I to be among the living in his eighth decade. Given how many of our contemporaries have already left us, either of us would be fools to feel otherwise. Just knowing I'll be playing music for people next weekend - no matter how much anyone is paying attention - has me buzzing in advance.  

Of course, there is buzzing and then there is BUZZING. This past week, watching the live show of two musical giants, I was buzzing as a listener. On Tuesday, Jackson Browne's vibrant show at the Beacon Theatre exceeded my expectations. And Bruce Springsteen's show in the Meadowlands last night was a reminder of why his reputation as a premier live act is well deserved. If I was buzzing as a listener, can you imagine the kind of buzz these two get before an adoring audience? Browne is seventy-four and Bruce is almost the same age. Any chance that lyric at the top of the page has any resonance for them? Based on the wistful tone of their between-song musings and anecdotes, and particularly based on a new song Bruce played called Last Man Standing, somehow I doubt Pete's words ring true for either of them.  

Mr. Townsend is four+ years older than Browne, the Boss, and me. I suspect that young-in-life lyric of his may sound a bit naive to him nowadays. But even if he never gives it a second thought, I further suspect he is just as pleased as I to be buzzing with his music, old age aside. 

4 comments:

  1. So, what really is "old?" Depending upon how you define old and in what context, I kind of like the quotation. Forever Young!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ines; I'm not sure what Townsend meant when he said "old" in his song from fifty years ago. But like you, I too like the phrase "forever young" which Bob Dylan used about ten years later as a song title. Thanks for the comment.

      Delete
  2. Good morning, Pat. As I in my 7th decade I can understand a lot of what you write about. And having seen both Mr. Brown and Mr. Springsteen (multiple times for him) I agree that their shows are well worth seeing. However, both time, and (mostly) cost have prevented me from seeing recent shows. But it's great to see them continue. And, although I wasn't able to see their recent concerts either, I did watch the recent interview with Mick, 'Keef', and Ronnie with Jimmy Fallon for the upcoming release of their new album, 'Hackney Diamonds'. Mick and the Boys .. The Rolling Stones ... doing this for more than 60 Years !!! And from the little I've heard, are sounding just as good as ever. Age Be Damned !!
    Be well,
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob; I hear you about the cost. We got lucky with the Bruce tickets - a random Facebook post from a "friend" who needed to unload tickets in the upper tier. And, I think I just heard a new Stones song - "Angry" - that's from the new recording; good stuff, at least that one, anyway.

      Delete