About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Enjoying The Train Ride

Being as goal oriented as I am has sometimes interfered with me being fully in the moment. For example, on the day I was getting my Masters Degree, I remember thinking about a Doctorate. This trait has been particularly troublesome with my guitar playing - I reach a goal but have three new ones right behind it. How do you celebrate when reaching a goal? What strategies help you enjoy the process of incremental learning?

Recently, I've been trying a metaphor to assist me with my guitar playing goals: I visualize myself on a moving train, walking the cars. I remind myself to be unconcerned about arriving at any station and instead enjoy the movement - the train & mine. Although it is way too early for me to assess whether this will help, it surely can't hurt. Even if gets me just savoring the process of learning a bit more, I'll be better for it.

I also know that being goal oriented has assisted me in my life and for that I'm grateful. Like many people, I search for ways to ensure my strengths don't throw me off balance.

        

No comments:

Post a Comment