About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Crazy Love

"The heart wants what it wants."

What did you do the last time love made you crazy? Have you ever known anyone who hasn't gone off the deep end at least one time because of love?

We were all children once, we all have stories, we're all going to die. While listening to a podcast about 30,000 men who were convinced they had connected with their "soul mate" - when in fact just one sinister con man, posing as many women, was writing to all of them - I was struck by another universal human condition. Sooner or later, love makes a fool of all of us.

When his relationship with Soon Yi first became public, I recall Woody Allen paraphrasing Emily Dickinson by saying something similar to the words that open this post. I also remember my cynical and self-righteous reaction at the time. But over the ensuing years, I've watched several people put their life in a blender and turn it on high - for love. None of us escape this madness forever.         

1 comment:

  1. I am crazy in love with this post, Pat. My mind and my ear immediately flew to the song Love Changes Everything from the musical Aspects of Love. The song is structurally deficient - dare I criticize Andrew Lloyd Webber? - but the melody when sung by Michael Ball, with lyrics by Don Black and Charles Hart, just blows me away.
    .....Love, love changes everything.....Brings you glory, brings you shame
    Nothing in the world will ever be the same.....
    Love makes fools of everyone
    All the rules we made are broken
    Yes love, love changes everyone
    Live or perish in its flame
    Love will never, never let you be the same!

    ReplyDelete