About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Sunday, April 28, 2019

Got A Junker You Want To Dump?

"Make America grateful again."

When I recently spotted the above on a bumper sticker, it marked only the second time in my driving life that I was seriously tempted to adorn my car with a provocative slogan. So far, just like in the first instance, I've resisted. Ever succumbed to the temptation to poke other drivers via a statement that felt as right to you as the one above feels to me? If yes, what did your bumper sticker say? If you've seen one that you really liked but decided against putting it on your car, what stopped you?

My hesitation is probably closely linked to a fear of igniting the road rage of some unhinged person or finding my car keyed somewhere it is parked. Those fears may not be ill-considered, especially here in my over-heated home State, but it still shames me a bit being so timid. Is it plausible the worst I might face would be drivers frequently flipping me the bird? Readers with more bumper sticker moxie than I: What has been your experience?

"I love my country but I think we should start seeing other people". That was the winner I resisted back in 2009. Some days my restraint feels like good common sense. Other days it feels more like moral cowardice. Maybe I'll indulge myself, buy a used piece of junk, and put one on each bumper.

2 comments:

  1. The one I couldn't resist was "Make Wine, Not War." Still relevant today. No one threw things at my car back in the 1970s. Today, I'm not sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Richard; Thanks for the comment. Great bumper sticker and arguably less provocative than the ones I considered and decided against.

      Delete