About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Humor Me, Please

Take a lifelong propensity for introspection, add an inordinate need for attention, combine those with the world's longest mid-life crisis and what have you got? A blogger who, since entering his eighth decade, has spent many precious hours reflecting on his remaining precious hours. 

As has been my wish beginning with the inception of this blog in March 2011, I'd welcome hearing how some of you reckon with the finite goon called time. At seventy and a few months, on my better days, three questions help me, sometimes.

The selfish one: How is doing this (whatever it is) adding value to my life?

The selfless one (this only on the really good days): How is doing this helping the world?

The in-between one: How is doing this enhancing a relationship that is important to me?

Anyone guessing that blogging fits best as an answer to my first question is using good logic but missing one critical piece of information. Add to the introspection, need for attention, and fifty year mid-life crisis, my towering egotism. Because, size of audience notwithstanding, there are rare days when I convince myself that devoting precious time to this blog is helping the world. Humor me.

6 comments:

  1. OK, here goes: your blog may not be helping the world but perhaps "enhancing a relationship that is important to me." That is -- if your relationship with blog readers is important to you! Two out of three ain't bad....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ines; What an encouraging way to to look at my blog. Thanks for this rich insight.

      Delete
  2. If it makes people use their mind differently, even if just for a few mins... that helps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks honey; your support means the world to me.

      Delete
  3. I don't believe it is for us to know how much we effect the world...one person effects another and another, and the ripple can be more far-reaching than you ever thought imaginable. How far reaching is neither for us to know nor for us to decide. Just do what you do, for the love of doing it, and let the rest move and reverberate as it will. Thank you for sharing your time and talent and thoughts with those of us lucky enough to read your work. I wanted to put a picture on here, but I can't figure out how...so I will just write the quote that it held: "You can offer no finer gift or higher honor to the world than to find out what your "drum" is and then play it for all it's worth." Dave Burgess, Teach Like a Pirate

    YOU DO THAT SO WELL!!!

    Thanks, Pat! D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. d; Thanks again for helping sustain my enthusiasm for this blog. I love the quote!

      Delete