About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Monday, July 6, 2020

Cycling Certainties

It's likely the large number of bicyclists on the roads near my home has a lot to do with my proximity to the ocean. After over ten years living and riding here, two cycling certainties recently became apparent to me:

#1: If I've been cycling more than thirty minutes, I will pass someone and I will be passed. I submit this first certainty as a wholly unscientific bell curve proof.

#2: Although reliable predictions cannot be made about the cyclists I will pass, I can predict with 100% reliability that every cyclist who passes me - legitimately - will be wearing a helmet.

Doubt my data? I invite you to join me on a ride, at your convenience. FYI, unless I've indulged in a second beer the night before, I average 14 MPH.

And I can hear you groaning in cyberspace. What is this fool prattling on about? Today's mundane reflection catalyzed after a recent ride when a cyclist without a helmet passed me as we both made a left turn. It was such an unheard-of occurrence that I conjectured he was a local, probably close to his destination, showing off. Less than five seconds later, I watched helmet-less man make a turn into a driveway. Data validated.

No comments:

Post a Comment