About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Thursday, August 25, 2022

My Book Cup Runneth Over

What are some factors that contribute to the joy you derive from a favorite hobby

While discussing with my wife an essay from Alice McDermott's most recent book - What About the Baby? (2021) - it dawned on me how my life in books could scarcely be improved. 

* My intense passion for the written word has been with me since - as a teenager - I first noticed my two sisters completely immersed in books. Almost without doubt, both of them got the reading bug from our mother who read to all four of us as young children. Thanks Mom, again. 

* My partner of forty-four + years shares my passion for books, all kinds of books. 

* My life - at least now in the post full-time work era - allows me mostly unfettered time to swim in my passion.

Add to this enviable list a trusted reading posse of five who direct me to many winners, Booklist & By the Book - two reliable features from The Week & The NY Times respectively - to further assist me when I'm on the search, and the book clubs I belong to, and it's easy to see how my book cup runneth over. Even when a book selected by a club is not to my liking, there is frequently a likelihood that it will lead me to another - somehow - that knocks me out. And, there is the added benefit that club selections will direct me toward subject matter I might not have explored on my own. Such a deal.

OK, back to Alice.   

    

3 comments:

  1. I can totally relate! And, if a book club selection is not to my liking, I can always learn something and that is worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ines; Writing this post, I was fairly confident you would relate. Isn't loving reading as we both do a gift?

      Delete
  2. Hey Bob; Another instance of three comments in one day; thanks for that. I'm sure you're pleased that retirement has given you time for both increasing your reading and improving your playing.

    ReplyDelete