About Me

My photo
My most recent single release - "My True North" - is now available on Bandcamp. Open my profile and click on "audio clip".

Sunday, August 28, 2022

What a Difference a Decade Makes

Infrequently, for reasons mostly unknown to me, a reader stumbles across an old blog post from my archives. These unusual circumstances often prompt me to re-read the stumbled-across post, usually in a cursory fashion, in a frequently futile attempt to understand what attracted a reader to unearth such a relic. Like this one. 

Reflections From The Bell Curve: The Raw Materials

For me, this post is a rare beast. After giving it more than my usual cursory attention, I was pleasantly surprised when I enjoyed reading it, but derived even greater pleasure via recognizing my growth as a human being over the decade since publishing it. How many of you have ever had a similar pleasant surprise via feedback from others, re-reading an old journal entry, or by any other means, that is, something that assisted you in comparing your current self to an earlier iteration of yourself? If you have had such an experience, I'd welcome hearing about it. This discovery literally made my week. 

Specifically, the growth I speak of has been in the domain of stepping up to adversity in the life of someone dear to me. The decade-old post above extolled a good friend who I commended for caring for his frail mother, unselfishly. I wondered aloud in March 2012 if I had the "raw materials" I saw in that friend. Over the past two and one-half years, I am proud to say that I now believe I do. It took the wayward discovery of this post to help me see myself this way. Like I said, made my week.


4 comments:

  1. My thoughts are that this change could have occurred not only from being "older and wiser," as you imply but from rising to the situation as it presented itself. Back then it was theoretical, but now it is practical. We will never know how we will respond to a situation until it appears.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ines; What you say about our responses to situations is true. In this case, I'm pleased at how I responded. Thanks for the comment.

      Delete
  2. Good morning, Pat. I guess we could all say that we've changed as we gotten older. Over the course of my life I've changed when getting married (both times), having children and, as you referenced about your good find and taking care of his ailing mother, I, too, have experienced that. Losing both pf my parents has definitely had an impact in my life - on many levels. And, with each change there has been growth. Sometimes large and sometime small, but growth just the same. Mostly for the better. As Ines (Hi Ines!) has said - 'being older and wiser'. I totally agree with that.
    Be well,
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob; For me, it's kind of cool that you & Ines - two of my most reliable commenters - had a chance to meet recently. However, at least as it concerns me, I'm not as convinced as either of you that older necessarily means wiser.

      Delete